Another question

HaroldC
on 1/15/12 2:14 am - Canada
In the TWH guide it says to Try and eat 60-80 grams of protein a day.
I think that I am eating more than 100 grams. Is this ok? I am not over eating and measuring all my potions. 2 ounces of meat of fish is grams. If I have this twice a day, lunch and dinner,that brings me to 120, plus whatever dairy and protein shakes I have in the day this brings me well. Above 80 grams?

Thoughts and advice?
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

PatXYZ
on 1/15/12 2:31 am, edited 1/15/12 2:32 am
The 60-80g is a minimum, you're doing great! As long as you've never been told that due to kidney disease you need to watch your protein intake, there is no problem with this.
HaroldC
on 1/15/12 2:36 am - Canada
Thanks. Sometimes I get nervous and can't leave well enough alone!

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

ollieboysladybird
on 1/15/12 2:36 am - Canada
I remember in my TWH nutrition class someone asked if you can eat too much and Katie said it's unlikely because of the volumes we consume. but yes note what pat mentioned...otherwise you're doing as good as many and better than some!

Sarah
Sarah

RNY
Surgery Date: December 19th 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sher1ock
on 1/15/12 2:39 am - Canada
I'm not an expert, but given that many of us struggle to get the minimum in, and as long you are getting enough of the other stuff you need (eating your veggies, fibre, etc?) then I wouldn't worry in the short term -  you can discuss with your nutritionist when you next have an appointment.  It does raise question however, if you are getting that much protein in via food, why are you supplementing with shakes?

I would however, keep an eye out for a rare complication.  With that much fish in your diet, be aware of possible overwhelming urge to swim upstream.  If you have ANY sense of this happening, please pull over, take keys out of the ignition and stay away from all 400-series highways until it passes.

Brenda T.
on 1/15/12 3:53 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Brenda T.
on 1/15/12 3:55 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I'm am definately not an expert, but when you say 2 oz of meat or fish and have that twice a day it is over 120 protein..... I'm confused because you said that was before shakes.....

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

binaakwe
on 1/15/12 5:25 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
Hi folks.

Next time, I am on a 400 series highway, I will hallucinate swimminig thoughts! 

4 oz = 113.4 grams total weight.  This is true according to the internet which is my waiver of responsibility.  No meat is pure protein as there is always some fat and other things in meat...which is why we have nutrition labels...to help us figure out which is the best protein to eat.  I eat a lot of chicken so I have learned that 6 oz of chicken breast is 170 grams of meat but only 39 grams of protein.  If you type in "tuna protein content" into a internet search bar you will get more information about the grams of protein or the percentage protein of the fish in question. 

I was a little concerned from thread that we were not all talking about the same thing.  If we were, then I wasted a few minutes and no big deal.  If I helped, hey look at me.  My first helpful post!

I was long confused why 90 grams of protein seemed to such a big deal but when I realised that I would have to eat over 12 ounces of chicken post-WLS to make 80 grams of protein, I then realised that that was a lot.

Take care everyone.
JJ_
on 1/15/12 9:57 am, edited 1/14/12 9:58 pm
Hmmm, I was wondering about this myself.

According to the meal planner I received at the pre-op nutrition class - 2.5 oz of meat, fish or poultry is equivalent to 23 grams of protein. Or each ounce is approximately 9.2 grams of protein.

Now there is an search function on this website to look up values of grams of protein in varying amounts of food:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-pr oducts/4146/2

The food looked up shows one ounce of tuna has 7 grams of protein. (So not sure how this jives with the material handed out at the WMC in Ottawa).

Therefore I am wondering how much volume the OP is actually eating to get such a high number of protein grams.

Judy
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/12 10:02 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
The easy rule of thumb has always been that every 1 ounce of meat is 7 grams of protein.  There is no way you could be eating over 100 grams of protein this early out without supplements.  I think you may be confusing the weight grams of what you are eating and not the grams of protein in them.
Most Active
Recent Topics