Opti Question- I've forgotten the answer.....

northernlight
on 2/12/12 2:30 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
I have my meeting this week with Dr Jackson at TWH. My daughter & I are taking the train to Toronto on Thursday afternoon, will stay in a hotel overnight and take the train home again on Friday afternoon. I just have a quick question regarding Optifast.

If I get the green light for my surgery, I believe that I'll need to order my Optifast before I leave TWH, right?

I was given two boxes of Opti from someone who didn't use theirs last summer (exp date is still good til July 2012) so I'm trying to determine how much I'll still need to buy.

How many Opti shakes do you drink each day - is it 3 or 4?  I'm trying to see how long my supply will last me so I know how much I still need to buy. I'm guessing that I will likely have to be on Opti for 3 weeks as my weight is in the 300 range.

Thanks for your help!

Deb

SandpaperSandy
on 2/12/12 2:31 am - Kitchener, Canada
4 a day, but some can't manage to consume all 4.

good luck to you.
Diminishing Dawn
on 2/12/12 2:34 am - Windsor, Canada
For a two week period, you'll need 4 boxes as it is recommended to have 4 a day  in order to keep up protein levels (and not lose muscle mass).

Dawn :) 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Dianadcr
on 2/12/12 2:46 am - Canada
I agree with Dawn. Initially I found it hard to get in three but after day four I took the required amount. Started to do much better then and felt no hunger.
  Diana

Kelshy
on 2/12/12 3:58 am, edited 2/12/12 4:01 am - Cannifton, Canada
I was prescribed 3 weeks of opti-crap .. I mean opti-fast. i only used 3 a day and was told to drink 3 or 4 a day. They were not concerned that I only ever drank three. Consequently I had 21 packets left over which will last 5 -7 days.

I saved those for my daughter as she will be starting optifast soon. When she saw the surgeon on Friday he prescribed two weeks for her and the nurse was fine with only ordering a 1 week supply. That of course means my daughter has enough for 3.5 shakes a day.

So I would say if you have two full boxes (28 packets) you have a full weeks supply and saved yourself $78.

Cheers and good luck!!

edited to add: They sometimes give you an extra week of optifast if you have had previous abdominal surgery but it is mostly based on weight. My daughter weighs only slightly less than I did going into optifast but because of previous abdominal surgery I got the delightful three week plan. LOL

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

Leslie W.
on 2/12/12 9:39 am - Cobourg, Canada
Hi Deb,
You will order your Opti before you leave. Don't forget to bring a credit card. you need 2 boxes per week or 4 per day. You can order a mix of vanilla and chocolate. Medicalmart wil deliver it too you  so no need to carry it on the plane.

Cant wait to hear when your date is!

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
northernlight
on 2/12/12 11:58 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks so much for your responses everyone - that's exactly what I needed to know. I hope that TWH allows us to also drink broth for the sake of variety.

I actually have 2 full boxes & an almost full box (10 packets, instead of 14). I'm sure that they won't let me order a half-box, so I guess I'll have to buy an extra box to make up for the one with only 10 packets. So, if I end up having to do 3 weeks of Optifast, I guess I'll need to buy 4 more boxes - yikes, thank goodness for credit cards! If I have any left over, or if I'm not approved for surgery, I'll just offer it to someone in my local support group who is getting close to their surgery date.  Gotta pay it forward whenever possible, right?

As others have said repeatedly, thank goodness for this forum and for all of you who are always so quick to answer questions and offer suggestions - you are the best!!!!  

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics