To eat or not to eat

AllaP
on 2/21/12 5:51 am - Vaughan, Canada
 This is totally new to me. I'm not hungry. I'm 5 months out. For the last 2 weeks I'm not hungry. Should I eat or not? If I eat 3 meals a day there's no way I'll have enough protein. On the other hand I'm so tempted not to eat and do not pay att.to the ammount of protein. I know it's not going to last long.

Please, your opinion.

Thank you in advance,
Alla. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/12 6:00 am - Vaughan, Canada
Hi Alla,
Hope you are doing well...it's been a long time since I seen you.  It is very normal not to feel hungry.  I just gained back my appetite back and I'm at 10 months out.  Just remember it is very important to eat and to get all your protein in.  I would add a couple of snacks to increase your protein, i.e. cheese and crackers, protein bars/shakes, soy nuts, greek yogurt with fruit, decaf lattes. 

Don't feel that if you don't eat, you will lose weight faster.  It may work against you.  Protein first in every meal.  Good luck!

Karen W.
on 2/21/12 6:03 am, edited 2/20/12 6:03 pm - Canada
Some people never get their sense of hunger back post-WLS. You absolutely must eat. Treat it like a prescription; nobody wants to take meds, but they do, on schedule, in order to be healthy. You can get horribly sick from protein deficiency. We have heard first hand from some folks on this board who stopped paying attention to their protein intake how incredibly ill they became and how long it took for them to get well again.

Not eating won't help with your weight loss, it will only make you sick. If you don't eat, your body will shut your metabolism down and hoard everything you put into it, and will continue to do so even after you start eating again so you will likely gain weight.

Eat 3 meals and 2-3 small snacks daily, protein first. You don't have to enjoy it, just eat it.

I hope I don't sound harsh, but the need to follow the food plan post-WLS is extremely serious and I wouldn't want to read a post from you months from now saying how sick you are. This desire to not eat may pass but, if it doesn't, please see your nurse and nutritionist.

Good luck, I hope you feel like eating again soon (and that you eat regardless!).

RNY April 11, 2011       

Leslie W.
on 2/21/12 6:20 am - Cobourg, Canada
You need to eat. I'm just over 4 months and i am rarely if ever hungry. You need your 3 meals and snacks to get your protein in. It is too easy to get dehydrated and malnourished. I have to plan my meals and make a point to eat. Otherwise I skip then wonder why my energy level drops

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
AllaP
on 2/21/12 6:40 am - Vaughan, Canada
 Thank you, girls. That's what I thought. 
But I had an appetite until 2 weeks ago. Is it normal?

Alla.

PatXYZ
on 2/21/12 7:20 am
Have you had any other symptoms that set in at the same time, like pain anywhere, fever, etc? Sudden anorexia can sometimes be a symtom of something else. If nothing else is unusual though, it'll probably just pass.
AllaP
on 2/21/12 8:21 am - Vaughan, Canada
 No-no-no!!!!!!!!!!! I'm far away of being anorexic. Just I don't have appetite. And this is a new symptom. I don't enjoy food as I did my whole life including post-op. I'm a food addict. And I don't feel what I use to feel. 

Alla.

PatXYZ
on 2/21/12 9:26 am
Sorry Alla, I didn't mean to imply that you had 'anorexia' as an eating disorder, simply a sudden lack of appetite, also called anorexia when considered as a symptom. I apologize for the confusion.
TBIYTC
on 2/21/12 1:17 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
You really should stick to the plan and take care of your body.  Good luck!!!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

ToNewBeginnings
on 2/21/12 8:46 pm
Umm...give yourself a smack!
Of course you should EAT! Unless you want to make yourself sick and end up in the hospital, then don't eat.
Most Active
Recent Topics