3 weeks post op---little weight loss

Tina72
on 3/21/12 9:48 pm

I am three weeks post op today.  I have lost only 5 pounds.  After losing 25 on optifast, I am getting very scared.  I have read posts of others and I know to just put away the scale and follow my eating plan.  But I think I need to see it written again.

I am just at the point where I start to eat more food (which means more calories) and I am incredibly scared that I have done all this (surgery) for nothing.  I am almost scared to eat, but I know to follow the plan.

I am to start back to work in one week, and I don't know if physically I'll be able to do it.  When I walk around carrying anything I seem to get almost a heartburn that goes away if I rest.  I waitress for a living carrying trays.

Sorry for rambling on, but I knew I could express my fears here and you would understand, my husband would not

Thanks  

Tina

Karen W.
on 3/21/12 10:06 pm - Canada
Hi Tina.

Relax, take a deep breath, have some faith.  This will work, it's pretty well impossible for it not to.  Don't worry about starting to eat.  This will actually tell your body that everything's ok and may get you to start losing.  And slow weight loss early out is completely normal, it happens to almost everyone.  I had a stall (no weight loss at all) for 3 weeks, starting at 3 weeks out.  Your body is in shock.  You've just had  major surgery, plus it thinks you are starving it so is holding on to everything you put into it.

We're all different.  I lost 15 on OF, then 4 lbs in the first week post-op, 2 or 3 in week 2, and then stalled.  My average weight loss has been 1-2 lbs per week for most of the past 11 months. 

If you're not ready to go back to work, don't go if it's at all possible.  Your job is very physical.  If you can take more time, do it and let yourself heal.  And you really should talk to your clinic about the heartburn.  If you're not on a PPI (stomach med, like prevacid), they may want to start you on one asap.

Good luck, and keep us posted about your progress.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Gabygee
on 3/21/12 10:18 pm - Canada
Ah, the dreaded third week hump.

Do not fret.
All of sudden your body's gonna figure out "Aha! I'm supposed to be BURNING this fat! Okay ..."

Once it starts to happen (and it will) it's like magic.
I used to wake up in the morning two pounds lighter than when I went to bed, and thought "where the heck did that weight go in the night? Is it in my sheets?"

Hang in there, and follow the plan.
It works. Really.

TBIYTC
on 3/22/12 1:06 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
"where the heck did that weight go in the night? Is it in my sheets?"

Love it!!!!!!!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Dianadcr
on 3/21/12 10:24 pm - Canada
I am two months post op and like you lost weight on opti fast and very little after. I am very much like Karen I only average 1 or 2 lbs per week. There are many factors for this for me. I'm older and I had less weight to lose. Some people question why I had the surgery, hut when you have all sorts of comorbidities like diabetes and high blood pressure and cholesterol it was worth it. Maybe for the time being focus on the health aspect of this surgery and the weight loss will come. Best wishes.
  Diana

Monica M.
on 3/21/12 11:06 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Tina, its ok to freak.

Your body will get the message soon enough that it needs to let go of the fat.

If you figure that your body likely needs about 2000 calories just to maintain the weight you're at (probably more than that, but we'll just concentrate on round numbers)
YOu're likely only taking in wayyyyyyyy under 1000 calories, so its virtually impossible to "fail" at wls this early out. Just be patient.

Tina72
on 3/22/12 12:06 am
Thanks everyone

I think I just needed to put my fears out there in writing.
Your responses have made me remind myself of everything I have read in the past few years of this process. Sometimes that little voice in the back of your mind just gets the better of you.
laura S.
on 3/22/12 1:07 am - London, Canada
I was the same way Tina.  After losing so much on optifast your body is just adjusting to your new diet and all the changes you've made.  I lost 17 on optifast, then I think it was about 8 pounds in the first week and a half postop.. then completely stalled for 2.5 weeks after that.  I tried hard not to let it get to me, but it did freak me out.  After that though I lost 11 pounds in the next week!  Make me feel much better!  LOL  Seriously though it will even out.  Lots of people don't lose for a couple of weeks.. then lose a bunch.. then nothing.. Everyone loses differently, but it all evens out in the end!

It'll happen.  Just keep doing what your doing.

All the best,

Laura

PatXYZ
on 3/22/12 1:43 am
Are you on some sort of PPI for the heartburn? If not, you should get on something before going back to work. Taking a PPI post-op is also the best way to prevent ulcers. Discuss it with your doc if you're not on anything.
Buckaroobonsai
on 3/22/12 2:40 am - London, Canada
RNY on 02/29/12
I to am on the three week stall. I visited the dietician today and she said wait a week or two and then the weight will start coming off again. I lost 15 on Optifast and then another 15 after surgery.  I agree with what others are saying, just be patient follow the plan and the weight will come off.
Just Remember No Matter Where You Go There You Are.

Most Active
Recent Topics