day 6 opti... struggling

monalisas_mom
on 5/21/12 9:55 am
 My head is just spinning with doubts about having surgery, and fears of complications. I am on day 6 of optifast, and I am so so hungry, despite all the water, herbal tea and diet jello Im eating with it. My weight is at an all time high leading into opti, as I had started some new nasty meds that caused quite a bit of weight gain. Now however, even seeing the 7lbs of loss, I am doubting my decision to have the surgery. I am so afraid of major complications, like gangrene in the pouch, and of course death. I keep telling myself if I keep going at this weight I could have a heart attack at any time... but somehow I still feel so apprehensive. Has anyone else struggled through this stage? 
HaroldC
on 5/21/12 10:02 am - Canada
It is perfectly normal to be nervous, have doubt and struggle.
You surgery is not an easy decision and of course there is always the possibility of complications.

That being said, I am 5 months post op and wish I could have done this surgery 10 years ago. There are some days that are tough and I have had issues with iron and a potential ulcer, but I have no doubt that the quality and length of my life has been significantly improved.

Nerves and doubt are normal at this stage but if you go in with a positive attitude, follow instructions and are determined to succeed anything is possible!

Good luck.
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 11:30 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
I know how you feel, although I am new to this process I have had all of the thoughts that you have. However I have also thought that I do not have an active life and there are so many things I want to be able to do, so it is worth a try. What a great life I could have.

I am sure the jitters are normal and that you will do great. Think positive and feel so privileged to have a second chance at life.
Victor68
on 5/21/12 11:43 am - Canada
i really struggled with opti. It gets better though,
Monica M.
on 5/21/12 12:38 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
MLM, this is an entirely normal struggle.

Each one of us have contemplated the risks, and wondered if this is the right thing.

You can do this. You can. I know it.

Keep going on the optifast. YOu have right up until the anaesthetist puts the drugs into your IV, to sit up, and tell people to stop, you've changed your mind.

I can tell you, 14 months out, that i have not regretted my choice at all.

but its your choice.

hugs.

Mon

jewel-twin
on 5/21/12 8:43 pm - Canada
I am just beginning my journey so my advice might not be the best around but I think it is completely normal to be nervous about this...

its not an easy decision.... Im not sure what drugs you are on but I know my mother takes prednisone (sp?) and that makes her always hungry...

Keep in mind the hunger is because your stomach is holding a lot more then it will after surgery... I would think that Optifast would be the "hard" part simply because your body hasn't changed yet and you are going on an extended liquid diet.... but it also prepares you for after surgery and the days you will have to go liquid.

This is a very personal option... I hope your nerves clear up and that you make your decision with a clear head.

Juls
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 8:59 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12
You can do this!!! I know you can.

I am now on day 19 of 21 and I know how you are feeling...I have been struggling with it too but you just have to push through. Think of the positives in the future. Everyone gets nervous and just has to stop and think of the risks without the surgery.

For myself Day 1 and 2 were rough and 6 and 7 were the worst of them all. Keep pushing through!!
aprilbennett1965
on 5/21/12 9:29 pm - Canada
Your fears are completely natural but keep telling yourself every day how much this will be worth it in the end. I found chewing the sugar free gum while on Opti really helped me take the edge off the hunger.  Also no****ching  tv commercials at night was a huge help as well. Too hard watching all of the food commercials that are played after every 2 minutes.

Like the others have said on here, my only regret now about the surgery was not having it done many years ago.

I wish you all the best in getting past your fears so you too can have a new lease on life.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Tracey H.
on 5/22/12 8:13 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I can totally relate to what you are feeling. Pretty much all the way through my process, I was worried about the death and complications of this surgery. I suffer from anxiety for the last 5 years (ever since my son was born) but the anxiety is only brought on with fear of dying or having a heart attack.

I can only tell you that the optifast stage and the meeting with the anesthesiologist brought me to peace with my decision. Optifast has taught me to control my mind and fight my serious addiction to food. I struggled the first 3 days and then again one day during my 2nd week but other than that, I have had smooth sailing. I have not cheated even once on optifast and don't plan to for the next 7 days that I have left. The weight that I have lost so far from optifast has helped me immensely - with climbing my stairs and just an overall healthier feeling in my body. I've only lost 14 pounds so far on the optifast, but my outlook is much brighter feeling the way i do. I figure, if i feel this much better now, i will feel amazing after the surgery and the weight starts really dropping off.

I was so scared of dying and the complications before, but now, I just want to be able to do so much more with my family and live a healthier lifestyle. Everyone in my family is active except me. That is so hard when you just want to be able to do things that everyone else is doing, but have to sit on the sidelines. NO MORE. I can't wait for my surgery day. Only 7 more days to go and my new life begins.

It is a personal choice, but defiantly look at the pros and cons - we have so much life to live and the weight and health issues associated with the excess weight only hold us back.

You can do the optifast - it will get easier - make sure you have your 4 shakes each day and if you need to, have some broth or jello in between.

Good Luck!

Tracey

Karla Tolentino
on 5/22/12 9:59 am - Mississauga, Canada
You will do fine, you will do great!! you have to have a possitive attitude and you will conquer!! remember what we talked today at the pre-op at St. Joes!!
I also am struggling with the optifast, but I tell myself this is only the beggining of great things to come.....Good luck and see you on the 31st in  the hospital again!!
Most Active
Recent Topics