blood sugar question

rosie1985
on 7/4/12 1:06 am - Canada
 hey,

question for type 2 diabetics not on insulin......after surgery did your blood sugars regulate right away....I'm still having blood sugars on the high side and just wondered if it took a while for them to come down???? feeling frustrated cause I heard they are suppost to be down right away and within normal range

Rosie
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/4/12 1:24 am - Windsor, Canada
 Not everyone will get off of everything.  My hubby is 6 months out and still on metformin.   Even dr reed told us that while many cases are completely resolved, some are not.   But as you lose the weight, it can change as well.   Some people though have damage and/or a hereditary predisposition    

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

ruth63
on 7/4/12 2:34 am - aurora, Canada
I wAs on 3 metforman before my surgery.  Now 4 1/2 months later I am only on 1 a day and do not test my blood. I am down 70 lbs.
I think once again everyone is different.
I will go back to my doctor in a month and have my blood tested again  and see if I still need the one pill.  When I do test the odd time I am at 5 1/2 and was at 12 in the past, a huge difference, so I am very pleased. I am in my 60's and just had to start taking metforman two years ago, started at 2 and had to go to 3 a number of months  before my surgery.
Would it be so terrible to be on one pill if you have to?
Patm
on 7/4/12 2:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I went from 2 metformin a day to 1/2 twice a day. I am 5 mths post op. There is a chance I will go off it but at the moment I am just glad to have some of my other medications end or be reduced. Of course now they are replaced by vitamin pills!

Nathalie_Can
on 7/4/12 4:10 am
I was taking 8 pills a day and when I went to my Surgeon appt (2 months pre-op), he said to be completely off ALL meds as soon as I start OF (28days)  which I did and never took a pill since then. 

Ever since my 3-month follow-up appt, lab work showed my sugar "normal"  YAY!  lol  I declared myself "Diabetes free" lol.

I really hope that this goes away for you too!  Weird that it didn't regulate...BUT, just a quick question that might not have anything to do with it but do you drink protein shake from powders?  Some protein shake powders turn into sugar which could resolve this issue.

GL
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

PatXYZ
on 7/4/12 2:03 pm
Whoah! What do you mean about the protein powders turning into sugar? Protein CANNOT turn into sugar, nor can non-sugar sweetners such as aspartame - neither of these have ANY affect on blood sugar. Why would you think this?

Of course we should look for a protein powder that is low in sugar, but nothing else in the protein powder other than the grams of sugar in it can affect the blood sugar. Most whey protein isolate powders are very low in sugar and perfectly safe for diabetic and non-diabetic post-ops alike, but always read the label.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Nathalie_Can
on 7/4/12 2:14 pm
Ok, I hit a nerve there...lol...I just said what I was told by the GNC worker.  When I said I was diabetic so looking into protein shakes, He showed me a product and told me to always check for a certain word, which I don't remember since its been over a year, that if that word is not on the container that there is an ingredient in the other product that turns into sugar.  That's all I was told and since I don't take powder, I never checked into it.

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

PatXYZ
on 7/4/12 2:40 pm
He may have been talking about Splenda which is a blend of sucralose and regular sugar and this can cause a small effect on blood sugar, but not because it turns into sugar, but because a component of it is sugar. Acesulfame-Potassium can have a small effect on blood sugar, but this is very small - so small diabetics are rarely warned about it. Aspartame has no effect on blood sugar.

The only thing that can turn into sugar in the body are other forms of digested carbohydrates, so any carbs that are not fibre. This is why it is important to look not only at sugar content but total digestible carbs in anything you eat.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
HaroldC
on 7/4/12 4:18 am - Canada
Like the other have posted, everyone is different.
I was taking 5 pills a day plus insulin....all gone since surgery.

Good luck!
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

rosie1985
on 7/4/12 5:48 am - Canada
 hey,

I am taking protein drinks that are pre made....they have very low carb very very low sugar, I am also having cream soups made with 1% or skim milks, cottage cheese, everything on the list of what I'm allowed to have. I was on 4 glyclazide plus 4 metformin plus a blood pressure pill... I don't know how my numbers are but Dr. Glazer told me to take 2 500 mg metformin a day! I am also coming on my period which may effect my sugars...so HOPEFULLY....fingers crossed this will all work itself out!

thanks a bunch guys!!

Rosie
Most Active
Recent Topics