Four days post-op and struggling

Reidsmom
on 7/9/12 9:49 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 07/05/12
I'm four days post op and finding it a bit of a struggle.  I'm weak, nauseous, exhausted, and in pain. I can't seem to choke the protein down.  After a few sips I"m full.  I know that's why I'm weak and tired, but it just won't go down.  I'm wondering if this is cause for alarm or is it par for the course?
"We underestimate damage done to the sky when we allow words to slip away into the clouds."  –Viggo Mortensen  

Jan.  2011 -- Referral to W.M.C.                                     Jan. 2012 -- Meeting with Behaviourist
Apr.  2011 -- Initial meeting with Dr. Dent                      Jan. 2012 -- Psych. evaluation
Jun.  2011 -- Sleep apnea test                                       Mar. 2012 -- Follow-up with Dr. Dent
Jun.  2011 -- General orientation session                       Apr. 2012  -- Follow-up with Nutrionist
Jul.   2011 -- Psychiatrist                                                May 2012  -- Surgery class
Nov.  2011 -- Follow-up meeting with Dr. Dent               Jun  2012  -- Meeting with Surgeon             
Jan.  2012 -- Meeting with Nutrionist                             July  5, 12  -- Surgery 

SandpaperSandy
on 7/9/12 10:11 am - Kitchener, Canada
everyone is different and experiences the surgery different.

In guelph, we were only allowed clear liquids for 2 weeks and that did not include any protein shakes.  Maybe don't worry so much about getting in the protein and try for clear liquids and keep yourself hydrated. 

and of course, the best advice, call your nurse for advise.   Drink as much as you can and if you have to drink the protein maybe water it down more.

it will take time, lots of time to heal.

Good luck and stay hydrated.
Monica M.
on 7/9/12 10:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
maybe make the protein shake more liquid, that might help you get it down. but like she said, make sure you're hydrated, first and foremost. Rest when you need to.

This is a period of time when everyone struggles, some more than others. Hugs.

jewel-twin
on 7/9/12 10:23 am - Canada
I would make sure you are getting all vits that you need and keeping hydrated... if you cant get the protein shakes down then go to clear liquids for a few days and try other protein shakes in a couple of days....

always good to call your medical support team...especially if things are not going down... also remember that protein shakes you can sip sip sip all day and counts toward your fluid too...

Is it the taste or just that you feel really full?? maybe water it down a lot more so it isn't so thick... mix it with crystal light???

Good luck keep us posted
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/12 10:37 am - Straford, Canada
 I believe in the "stay ahead of the pain" moto, so make sure you're taking the right and enough meds to calm the pain, like the girls said, hydration is uber important.  Once you're ahead of the pain you should begin moving, its important for bowel movements, and the protein will help you heal quicker, so it should be added as you can.  Are you trying clear chicken or beef brothes?  

But firstly you need the pain under control.  If you need professional help doing that, seek it!  

As a newbie that's my 2 cents.  Hope tomorrow brings you some pain free protein filled moments!  

Ian 
JJ_
on 7/9/12 11:05 am
It is normal to have a bit of a struggle to get the protein in. 

If you read page 26 of the Your Meal Planner after Bariatric Surgery booklet, it indicates that your total fluids on the Full Fluid Diet is between 1000 ml and 2000 ml.  The estimated protein is between 30 and 65 grams per day. 

That means you are in a target zone of trying to reach those levels.  Since you are still doing full fluids, you should be drinking all day long.  Or sipping as the case may be.  As others have indicated it is most important to keep hydrated.

If you are unsure about your current condition, call the WMC and speak with Aspen.  If the pain is not being controlled by the medication, then perhaps you need to visit the Civic emergency department to get checked out.

Good luck!

Judy
hockeymom17
on 7/9/12 12:10 pm
 I too am 6 days post op and am finding it hard. Your not alone. But for sure get your rest, vitamins, and take the pain mess, the protein I have been taking in very very small doses and yes very milked down. I'm no where near the 35-65 but I figure the next week will get a bit better. Sip sip sip on water is so true it helps. I like ice too. Your not alone.

Reidsmom
on 7/9/12 12:19 pm, edited 7/9/12 12:20 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 07/05/12
Thank you all for your feedback and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm whinging.

I have read all of the booklets several times.  (By several, I mean each one cover to cover everyday since I received them).

I am getting the rest of my water down quite easily, but the protein seems to fill me up very quickly.  It seems almost impossible to get it down.  I was only able to get in about 25 grams of protein today.  I feel the same way with jello or Popsicles.  A heavy, full feeling.

I'm walking outside several times a day and doing light housework.  I'm wondering if that accounts for some of the pain.  Too much too soon?  I was given a script for Dilaudid, but I'm taking them sparingly due to the nausea.

I will give the WMC a call tomorrow and get their feedback.  I'm hoping I'm just feeling worn from the surgery.  

Again, thank you all.  It's great to have so much support!  

"We underestimate damage done to the sky when we allow words to slip away into the clouds."  –Viggo Mortensen  

Jan.  2011 -- Referral to W.M.C.                                     Jan. 2012 -- Meeting with Behaviourist
Apr.  2011 -- Initial meeting with Dr. Dent                      Jan. 2012 -- Psych. evaluation
Jun.  2011 -- Sleep apnea test                                       Mar. 2012 -- Follow-up with Dr. Dent
Jun.  2011 -- General orientation session                       Apr. 2012  -- Follow-up with Nutrionist
Jul.   2011 -- Psychiatrist                                                May 2012  -- Surgery class
Nov.  2011 -- Follow-up meeting with Dr. Dent               Jun  2012  -- Meeting with Surgeon             
Jan.  2012 -- Meeting with Nutrionist                             July  5, 12  -- Surgery 

ruth63
on 7/9/12 10:02 pm - aurora, Canada
Sometimes it helps if we know how old you are and the weight you are.  Alot of the differences can have something to do with those facts.  It's really good that you are doing lots of walking.  I would be careful since its such a short time to be doing light housework, it can wait.  Watering down the protein is a really good suggestion, so over 12 hrs. you should be able to get it in. Small amounts.  I set a timer for every 15 min. at the beginning. Are you having bowel movements ? Also really important.
like others have told you, call in to your clinic and speak to a nurse, just checking with a professional will make you feel so much better that its ok what you are feeling, that what they are there for.
Hope you are feeling better soon.  After the first two wks. things are so much better.  Four months from now, you won;t even remember these rough times
cutekatie
on 7/9/12 10:43 pm
RNY on 05/16/12
You should be having a one week follow up with Aspen in a few days so ask all those questions then.  I brought in a list of issues because sometimes the book didn't  help me.

You can get answers to all your questions then.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Most Active
Recent Topics