no desire for meat

monalisas_mom
on 7/17/12 8:42 am
 I am in my 8th week post op rny. In the past week and a half I am having more and more food aversions. Odours that have never bothered me are suddenly making me cringe. Dirty dishes in the sink repulse me, especially if I clean them and then make food. The biggest issue for me though is meat. I start chewing it and I can't stand the taste, and I start thinking about how its dead animal and Im disgusted. I am literally forcing myself to eat at this point. I know this likely sounds completely insane, but has anyone else had major food aversions post op? 

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/12 9:00 am - Straford, Canada
 I can not eat veggies yet.  I have tired BBQd, boiled, braised, crock potted, raw, NO!  Can not tolerate them at all, and I love(d) a nice salad and crock pot meals.  So I am with protein, haven't found a meat I can't eat yet.  Have you tried beans or soy, tofu, etc for protein sources?  Those are areas I have not tired!  Hope your tummy/taste buds provide you good sources of food for your healing!  Regards, Ian
Catw
on 7/17/12 9:25 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hi,

I don't have the same problem as you do, but I do know that there is someone no the board that doesn't eat meat, or at least not much (just forget who at the moment).  There are other sources of protein available.  You could try things like tofu, legumes, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt,  You'll have to watch and make sure that you get enough protein in with low fat/sugars.  And choose sources high in protein i.e. greek yogurt instead of regular.  Check out some vegan sites, they will help you start a list of meat alternatives.

Cathy

mermaidoz
on 7/17/12 9:42 am, edited 7/17/12 9:49 am - Canada
OH YES!  I wasn't able to eat red meat, like a striploin steak ( too tough and chewy****il at least a year out!....And even now, 4.5 years out, can only down a small round tenderloin filet ( filet mignon), the most buttery of red meat cuts...and last year think I did it only about 4-5 times...All other times the only times I ate "red" meat was hamburger meat in a chili con carne recipe....guess what! My IRON is becoming deficient and this since the last 3 years.  

When you are early out from surgery, you are using up your "stores" so your blood readings are OK...then progressively certain  items start becoming more and more low in their readings, so watch for iron deficiency...also niacin, thiamine, and B-12, and yes, also Calcium and Vit D....

So although not able to stomach meat ( red or otherwise) please be vigilant about a year or more out from surgery...and especially the further you get out from surgery for any creeping deficiencies...I kept my bloodwork reports ( I asked for photocopies from my GP) and compared them year to year and saw the trends occurring...You have to be your own best advocate as your GP won't get excited as long as your lab reports are within parameters, (even though they are dropping each blood test from high to medium to low!) Alarm bells only start ringing when you are outsde the low range, and by then you will notice you have had several years of a down trend although you were still within the "acceptable"parameters!

So, OK for now you can't stand the meat taste...wait a few months before trying steak again...get your red meat in the form of hamburger in sauce or whatever...You are only 8 weeks out of your Rny surgery, so going through the taste changes due to being in ketosis...Food smells and tastes were disgusting to me early out ( especially melted cheese) for almost a year, now I'm OK with most of them again, especially molten/baked cheese (love it again!).

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/12 9:49 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 04/24/12
I am almost 3 months post op and I still dont tolerate meat/protein very well, I get my protein through protein powder and eggs but even have pouch rumbling for a good hour or two after those and I have no desire to eat carbs, pasta, bread, rice, I find they have no taste and I just do not enjoy them yet before surgery those were things I loved. I have found that my pouch only seems to enjoy fresh fruits and veggies raw or cooked.

Its amazing how much your food likes and dislikes change after WLS as well as what we as indivduals can or can not tolerate.
Nikkismom
on 7/17/12 10:17 am - Toronto, Canada
This is all really interesting to me, as I've not had my surgery yet. I am hoping that I will lose my appetite for sweets! I just cannot believe how much I crave everything sugary.
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/12 5:38 pm - Straford, Canada
 Carol, before rny I could eat a bag or fudge e o's then polish off an tub of ice cream and look for more.  Sweet tooth, oh yeah!  I can't look at that stuff now, I find too much fruit in my smoothie and I can't fini**** too sweet.  That's a side effect I did not see coming, as I adored sweets!  Keep the faith, enjoy the ride!  Regards, Ian  
Nikkismom
on 7/17/12 9:22 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks Ian, While I hope to still love fruit, I really hope that I have the same reaction to sweets as you.
I am anxious as I worry that they will find a reason not to do my surgery. I see Dr. Glazer again next week. I must take some nasty drugs that might be too hard on the pouch so they may reject me.

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
ShallowGirl
on 7/17/12 11:22 am, edited 7/17/12 11:23 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I'm in my 4th week post op.

I am not liking meat (or it is not liking me), it doesn't sit well in my stomach.  

I'm taking a multi-vitamin with iron now so hopefully I don't get the depleted stores.

I find I can't stand (and my stomach tries to throw up) pepper, the black stuff.

@nikkismom - I gave up sugar pre-op and it improved my life.  I liked the taste of fruit and vegetables again.  However, I don't think the surgery makes you dislike sweets.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Lynette1962
on 7/17/12 11:44 am - Whitby, Canada
Hi, I am 9 months post-op and like you, have an aversion for meat...smell, site and definitely can not eat it. 
I wouldn't force yourself as there are lots of alternative choices for protein....
As an FYI.....I still have my daily protein shake just to make sure I have enough protein daily. 

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics