Is it worth the wait in Ontario?

Tom R.
on 9/2/12 10:33 pm - Lindsay, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13
I have my orientation on Sept. 3.  This came up more quickly than I had expected, I had actually given up on the Ontario program and actually have surgery booked in Mexico for mid-October.  Now I'm wondering what I should do.  I guess it really depends on how Ontario is likely to work out and I could use some help with that.

How long did it take you to go from Orientation to Surgery? 
(From what I can see, it can range from a few months to about a year and a half.  Any idea what the norm is?  Do they take the higher BMI cases first?)

Did you get to decide which surgery (VSG or RNY) or were you told?  Who makes the final decision?
(I'm only interested in VSG)

Doesn't the number of appointments, questionairres and "hoops" you have to jump through seem a bit excessive?  Do I really have to see a Social Worker and a Psychologist?  I'm not training for the space shuttle!
(From the questions, it would seem that they are more interested in me as a guinea pig to study rather than a patient).

Very tempting to blow this off and just fly to Mexico and start losing weight maybe a year earlier than in Ontario.

Thanks in advance for your comments/help.

~ Tom

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Laura H.
on 9/3/12 9:52 am - Canada
 I was only interested in RNY so I cannot comment on the VSG.  

As for timeline, it depends what centre in Ontario you are going through.  I am with Humber in Toronto.  I had my orientation in May and am having surgery Sept. 18th.

I only had to see a social worker and it is for my best interest.  Everyone is just making sure that I am mentally ready for this surgery.

All the best in whatever you decide to do.  Take care.

Laura H.

cutekatie
on 9/3/12 10:14 am
RNY on 05/16/12
Once you let us know what centre you are going through those that are at that centre can give you a really good idea of wait times.

In terms of getting the surgery earlier in Mexico just remember you will need aftercare when you get back and from all the discussions so far about complications that is something you need to think about.

I think the dietician and social worker appointments were wonderful as it made me think about how I was going to handle my eating habits after surgery.

I'm not sure why you are only interested in VSG but if you can get that surgery in Mexico go for it.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Lorieliz
on 9/3/12 10:35 am - Canada
Wow.

There ain't no way you are a true Leafs fan if you can't be patient for a few months and save some money...

VSG is usually reserved for those who are too heavy for the bypass and the prcedure assumes that RNY will take place at some point in the future when sufficient weight is lost for safe completion.

No offense to anyone who has gone that route, but I won't even vacation in Mexico, If you can't drink the water.....

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

PatXYZ
on 9/3/12 4:25 pm
This information about VSG is completely incorrect. VSG is its own stand alone procedure and it should never be the intention to perform it and then plan to change it to RNY later. With the VSG 80%+ of the stomach is cut out and discarded, whereas with RNY the stomach is cut into two parts, but all of it is retained in the body. The VSG keeps a normal functioning stomach with the pyloric valve intact which is what prevents dumping and reactive hypoglycaemia. The RNY creates a 'pouch' from a portion of the stomach that empties directly into the small intestine. The VSG can be much more easily and effectively made into a DS instead of a RNY, but for many people this is completely unnecessary. Sometimes when a surgeons intends to perform a DS, but cannot safely do it due to absominal obesity, they will first do a VSG and then later complete the DS - perhaps this is what you are thinking of? The VSG is comparable to the RNY in its success and weightloss and there is no reason to think that the RNY is superior. Many surgeons are coming to believe that the VSG is a preferable surgery due to the fewer complications like ulcers, anemia, dumping and reactive hypoglycaemia.

Please don't spread misinformation about the VSG.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Barbara_journey
on 9/4/12 7:18 am - Canada
Thanks PatXYZ, I find many people are mis-informed about the VSG, this pretty much sums it up! ;) 

Lorieliz
on 9/4/12 10:33 am - Canada

Typical Outcomes After Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

This procedure is considered a starting point for people who are so obese that they are not candidates for gastric bypass surgeries like Roux-en-Y or biliopancreatic diversion. For patients who are too heavy for gastric bypass and unable to lose enough weight to become a candidate, this surgery provides an opportunity to lose enough weight to have a more radical surgery done once their body size will allow it.

For patients with less weight to lose, this procedure does not produce the same levels of weight loss as other types of surgery. Many patients who intend to have this procedure as their only weight loss procedure have difficulty maintaining the tiny portions required to keep the stomach pouch size small. If the patient begins to consume larger quantities of food, the pouch stretches and weight loss can stop, or in some cases, weight gain begins.

Total weight loss is less than most types of surgery and the procedure is not reversible because the area of the stomach is removed rather than stapled to prevent food from entering. The risk of malnutrition that faces many bariatric surgery patients is not present with this surgery, as the body continues to absorb nutrients as it did prior to surgery. This surgery is currently being studied as a stand-alone surgery for patients with lower BMIs, but still remains investigational.

Many patients will chose another type of surgery, not because of the procedure itself, but because few surgeons perform the surgery and many insurance companies consider it investigative, or experimental. Insurance companies do not pay for surgeries classified as investigational but may pay other types of weight loss surgery.

PatXYZ
on 9/4/12 10:55 am
 Where did you copy and paste this information from? Most of it is incorrect and very outdated. The VSG is quickly becoming the surgery of choice rather than RNY for many surgeons because it has fewer complications. The 5 year weight loss % is within 10% of RNY. The reduction in risk for ulcers and dumping and reactive hypoglycemia make it worth it as far as I'm concerned. It makes no sense whatsoever to turn a VSG into a RNY when a DS could be done instead as a safer and better alternative. Making a VSG into a RNY instead of a DS would invite all sorts of risk and open the door to malpractice.

It's clear from your post though that all you are capable of doing is copying and pasting info you find without critically evaluating it and actually thinking it through as you did not respond to my points. So once again, I'll ask you to stop spreading misinformation about the VSG.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Lorieliz
on 9/4/12 11:05 am - Canada
Okay Pat. No problem. You have a good day.

LuAnne H.
on 9/3/12 11:01 am - London, Canada
As other have said, the journey is different in every center.   It is one a first come basis, not BMI basis.   The standard is for RNY BUT you can talk to them about VSG and why you think it is better for you. 

As for "hoops", they are put there to make sure that they have a full health picture and that you are ready for this life changing surgery.  Physically and mentally!  Social worker makes sure that you have the back up support that you need to be successful and depending on the center, a Psychologist is there to make sure you are emotionally ready for this change.  YOu may not be training to be on the space shuttle BUT your life is going to be drastically changed for the REST OF YOU LIFE!!  The centers are there to make sure that you are able to go forward successfully and are there for you after the surgery to help you with anything that comes up, for 5 years.  Can you get that with a surgery done in Mexico? 

We all want the surgery now, but are we really truly ready....that is what the professionals help you with.  I had to wait 2 years from referal to surgery. In that 2 years I was able to mentally prepare myself and my family for the changes.  I wouldn't have "blown off" the wait, I used the wait to my benefit to learn and be thankful that Ontario has this program and is fully covered by OHIP, including all of the post-surgery follow-up.

That is just my humble opinion.

Lu

Referal Apr.17, 10   Orientation Feb.24, 11  !st  App (SW,NUT.RN) May 17, 11
2nd App (SM,NUT,RN) Jul. 7,11, Post-op Nut class Jan 13,12,  surgeon Feb27,12
surgery April 5,2012
Most Active
Recent Topics