Problems getting vitamin A and D tested in Ontario

2renee
on 11/22/12 3:11 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Hi all,

To make a long story short, I had my surgery in Quebec and live in Ontario.  My surgeon sent me the requisition for my 3 month labs but my family doctor just called and said she wasn't allowed to request my vitamin A and vitamin D levels to be checked.  Anybody run into that problem?  If so, how did you get around it?

Renee

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 3:25 am - Kitchener, Canada

I dont know about Vit A, but for Vit D, OHIP doesnt cover the test anymore unless you have a specific condition that causes malabsorption issues. If you wanted it tested just to check, you would have to pay for it.

Michelle

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 3:28 am - Guelph, Canada

RNY will qualify you for these tests..

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 3:27 am - Guelph, Canada

Did she say why?... I just had my 6 month labs done and had both checked no problem .... Make sure they check the box that says you qualify for ohiP coverage because of the mabsorbsion from the RNY

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 3:30 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Dee, did you get your blood work done at a hospital?  I have seen some say the A is only covered if done at their hospital and others have had to pay for it when done in a lab outside the hospital.

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 3:32 am - Guelph, Canada

Nope my GP did it on October 31 he requested the tests and I just got the final result on November 15 (or that's when the clinic received it) ...so this is REALLY recent 

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/12 3:27 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You can get them tested but you may have to pay for those tests.  The only way around the D is they have to indicate that you have had wls and put down mal-absorptive or something like that.  The doctor should know what she has to write to get the D covered.  I don't think there is a way to get the A covered and you may have to self pay for that one but if you have benefits, your insurance company may cover any blood tests not covered by OHIP.

twins4meplus1
on 11/22/12 4:20 am - St Thomas, Canada

Your physician must write malabsorption or insured on the lab req for Vitamin D test to be covered.

Other Vitamin/mineral levels like Thiamine (B1), Pyridoxal Phosphate (B6), Vitamin A (Retinol) may not be covered if you go to an external lab. Each of those tests can cost $50.00 and up. My insurance plan at work (Manulife) used to reimburse me 85% of the cost of those tests but they will no longer do that.

I don't do all of those tests every 6 months anymore. I do one each time and save the receipt and claim it on my income tax as a medical expense.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

tasha_the_dog
on 11/22/12 7:51 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada

Just checked my lab req as I had my check up last week.  Vit A and D are checked off under the other tests and up at the top of my form in the box that states Additional Clinical information it states "Post OP  Bariatric Surgery"  I have yet to pay for any tests. OHIP has covered and I usually go to "Lifelabs"  Also the box that is specific for Vit D ( right side of lab req) is also checked off as "insured-meets OHIP eligibilty criteria.......malabsorption....

Your doctor should be checking that box off.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

PatXYZ
on 11/22/12 7:56 am

These are insured, at either a hospital or a private clinic, so long as you have a reason for them to be. Your doc just needs to write in "bariatric surgery" or "history/risk of deficiency" and check the 'insured' box. I get both of these tested every 3 months because I had deficiencies in both and keep a close eye on the levels now that they are normal again. When I give the requisition to the tech, I just advise them that my A and D are both covered due to a history of deficiency and if there are any problems they can call my doctor's office. I've never had a problem.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics