Thanks for the Torani SF syrups! What a difference in plain Greek yogurt!

Dar_Mab
on 11/27/12 7:43 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

So I am pre-op (seeing surgeon on Dec 17) and hoping to have surgery in January.    In preparation I have been following postings on here about what to get or try in preparation.

One of the items was to get SF syrups and someone had indicated Torani. So I ordered 6 bottles and had them shipped for free - - again because of a tip from someone that they had free shipping and to order soon because they won't ship leter on when the weather gets colder.  

I have never been a yogurt fan but as part of the new diet have begun eating yogurt.   I had tried Vanilla Greek yogurt a few weeks back and that was quite tolerable.   So I bought some plain greek yogurt  because everyone on here was saying post surgery that this will be a key staple - high in proten and low in sugars and fast.  Well I cracked open the tub last night and just about died when I tried it. .  YUCK!     So before I threw the tub out I thought I will try one of my new SF syrups. So I added 1 oz of the Caramel syrup into my 3/4 cup yogurt.   WOW.   It was quite good and very tolerable.      So I think I might be able to survive eating plain Greek Yogurt after all.

This forum is great for idea generation by the wonderful people  who have been down this road before me!  Thanks!

Dar

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Onward and
Downward

on 11/27/12 7:58 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

You know what I find plain yogurt good with?  It's great when you're eating really hot Indian food to cut the heat a bit.  It's a refreshing taste when you have a bit after a really spicy mouthful - I love it for that! 

It's also really good for making savoury dips.  For instance, during the puree stage when you are able to eat fish, you can put some yogurt in a small bowl, add some generous pepper, a squeeze of fresh lemon, salt to taste and dried dill weed, and you've got a really delicious lemon pepper dip.

And it's also the base for tzatziki sauce, spinach and yogurt dip, etc.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/27/12 8:06 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

To eat it plain I am usign it like sour cream. Creamier... Tastes the same. Better protein and fat levels.

I am holding out for Torani... I have heard they are the best! Awesome you like them.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Amanda F.
on 11/27/12 8:23 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

I get the feeling that I'm the only one on here who actually likes the flavor of plain yogurt

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/27/12 8:55 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I like it.. as sour cream. OR with dried cranberries/fresh berries & granola. *purr* but I am suppose to be laying off that a bit.

Amanda F.
on 11/27/12 9:41 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

I hear ya! I love me a granola and greek yogurt parfait with fresh berries, but I can't have that post surgery... in fact, I wonder if we can ever have granola again?

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/27/12 9:48 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I am looking at getting some Holy Crap. http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/holycrap  - thinking a teaspoon of this may work in lieu of granola.

All natural ingredients (no GMO): organic chia, hulled hemp hearts, organic buckwheat, organic cranberries, organic raisins, apple bits, organic cinnamon.

Nutrition Facts: per 2 Tsp Calories 120 Fat 6g Saturated Fat 1g TransFat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 0mg Potassium 0mg Carbohydrate 14g Fiber 6g Sugar 3g Protein 4.2g

So half of each of those... They had a Skinny B one that is 30cal less... but.. *shrug*

Amanda F.
on 11/27/12 10:00 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

I've seen Holy Crap at the Shoppers in my neighborhood. I've never tried it, because Holy Crap it's expensive!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/27/12 10:10 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

HAHAHA not at the quantities we will be eating.

Actually I just went to THEIR site and it is 30 for 3 bags of it. Score. And... looks like the calorie info, etc. is updated there... Table spoons instead of tea spoons so... pure math time:

1 bag. 225G. So just over 16 tablespoons in a bag... That is 16 parfaits per bag. 30$ for 3 puts it at 48 of them for 30$.

I'm worth that!

It's sort of like a healthier mini boost of crunch. I'll get brave and try it... Tell you if it is worth it.

twins4meplus1
on 11/28/12 2:57 am - St Thomas, Canada

I use Bran Buds in place of granola. Good crunch and fibre so it's a win, win.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics