I'm A Virgin...

Melissa.M
on 12/5/12 9:59 am - Canada

Surgerywise, that is...  I've never had surgery of any kind, never been under general anesthetic, so the whole experience will be new to me.

I'm just curious... how long was your surgery? How long were you in recovery? How many hours passed before you felt  "awake'? Did you say anything funny/inappropriate/dirty/humiliating when you were first coming out of it?

Referral:Nov 14, 2012~~Orientation:Dec 14~~Nurse:Mar 26~~Abd Ultrsound:Apr 18~~Beh/Nut:May 9, 2013~~Surgery:Dec 12, 2013.

Unpleasantlyplump
on 12/5/12 10:01 am

Great question!  Looking forward to what the veterans say about that!!!

Hannahmumma03
on 12/5/12 10:09 am - Oshawa Ontario, Canada

I too was a under general anesthetic virgin. I had a c-section epidural in 2003 due ti my daughter being a breech.

The RNY was 3 hrs long, recovery was from 11 30 am until they wheeled me out and I saw the clock that said 1 37 p.m. so 2 hours. It was maybe 4-5 hours til I felt "awake" went pee and sat in a chair to ease some back pain which was from the anesthetic, gas. No bad words I think and hubby was there.

I was such a worry wart about it....but everything went excellent!! Great team I had with Dr. Todd Penner at TWH!

You will do just fine!enlightened

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

mermaidz
on 12/5/12 10:09 am - Brampton, Canada

I've had several surgeries. I love the feeling of "going under"....you fight so hard and BONK..you're gone. You have no conscious recollection of time passing other than someone saying "Breathe" or "Leave the mask on"

Each person takes their own time to wake up. It also depends on the anaesthetist-if he's heavy handed with the gas or not.  I prefer to keep that "happy" on for as long as possible. Then I don't feel the pain. And I like "The Twilight Zone". Only time in your life where it's really ok to be totally ripped and someone else is babysitting you.. lol 

I did wake up during a procedure and smack a surgeon in his sac..............but in MY defense I wasn't nearly as sedated as he needed me to be lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/12 10:12 am - Guelph, Canada

Surgery vet here....my surgery was at 2:30... I felt drugged as hell but able to function ant text hubby by 5... Still felt drugged when he came up with the kids at 7... Went back to sleep about 8....woke at 11 feeling fine....slept the night ...got up for first pee at 6 am , I called for the nurse to assist me with standing for the first time post op.... I did not need her though but it's a good idea anyway... By 2 pm the following day 23.5 hours after surgery I was showering on my own walking the halls 

DebsDream
on 12/5/12 10:15 am

Hi Melissa......I had my surgery on Nov. 22 and like you had NEVER had surgery before ever. I was so nervous about the process, the anesthetic, would I wake up? would I be silly? what would it feel like?

Cut to today....I had a really good experience. The surgery is approximately 1.5 to 2 hours long. I told the anesthetist that I was really nervous and he arranged for me to have a mild ativan (dissolvable) once I got the hospital. It helped...I was very calm. In the operating room....once I was rolled in he put the IV in my arm and then someone put the mask over my mouth and nose and asked me 3 questions...I remember the first 2 and I answered them, I remember there was a 3rd question but I don't remember what it was and I don't know if I answered it and that was it until I woke up in recovery....which I think was about 1.5 hours later and I really very vaguely remember waking up but don't really remember anything until I woke up again in my hospital room. Noone told me that I said anything funny or inappropriate so I choose to believe I didnt :) I was not sick at all from the anesthetic. They did have morphine for me the 1st night and I was glad to have it but after that first night which was more major discomfort than pain, if I had to describe it. The doctors told me that there would likely be quite a bit of discomfort from the gas they pump you up with so they can see better in there and they were right....but it works itself out of your system.

Hope that helps...good luck and best wishes.

Deb

jay_dee_767
on 12/5/12 10:18 am - Canada

I have been under the knife a few time and every time was different , The last time I remember asking for my "Daddy"? I was 18 years old and was told he waiting for me. I call her a lying B%$#@ and other rude names I knew he was not coming . I Felt awful and started to cry like a little child,,,, thinking about it, must have been scary and funny for the poor nurses... hopefully this time I do not brake out in a musical number...

Referral Recieved November 13/12  Orientation Nov.19/12 meet Dr.Klein and NUT Nov .26/12  , Meet the social worker and RN on Dec. 6/12 ,DR.Glazer Dec.13/12 Meet Dr.Klein and pick up optifast Jan.16th 2013 Patts Feb.19th,2013, Surgery March 5th,2013

Pez
on 12/5/12 10:37 am - Oshawa, Canada

My surgery was at 8:00am and was less than an hour.  I was booked for more time but Dr.Starr said I was easy, not sure that i like being referred to as easy lol.  I was up in my room by 11:20am I would say and was well awake by then.  It is amazing how quickly you are asleep once they get the IV in and when you open your eyes you feel like you had a little nap not out for hours lol.  If I said anything inappropriate nobody told me and I don't remember.  I did wake up nauseous, which has not been the case before but they put some gravol in my IV and I was fine.

cutekatie
on 12/5/12 10:47 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I was also a surgery virgin when I had my surgery in May. Other then three nights in the hospital after my son was born I had never been in the hospital. Ever!

My surgery was two hours long and I think I was in recovery for 3 hours.  If I do the math my surgery was at 11am and I woke up at 3pm.  I was in my room on the phone with my husband at 5pm.

I felt awake at 3pm.  It was strange because the man two beds down wasn't waking up and I was startled awake by the nurses calling out his name. I remember wanting to sit up because I was lying on my back and I wanted to look around.  My mouth was very dry and my nose was stuffed up so i spent the next hour blowing my nose.

I had no pain until the surgery pain meds wore off.  My left side felt like someone had stabbed me with an axe. Once I had morphine in my body it was all good.

I was nervous about being put to sleep but it was fine. I walked into the operating room and laid on the table.  They gave me oxygen to breath and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. I do remember dreaming while having surgery but like most of my dreams the moment I woke up I couldn't remember them.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

HaroldC
on 12/5/12 11:06 am - Canada

RNY was my first too.

I was in for 2-3 hours and then 90 in recovery.

By the time I was in my room 92 minutes of surgery I was 100% coherent.

Thankfully I did or said nothing stupid.

When is your date?

Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics