Foamies...OMG...what's with that! - a little graphic...sorry

Charlene Straus
on 10/9/13 11:38 am - Mississauga, Canada

So I am 1 week into my pureed diet. Last night I felt like blahhhh after I ate. I had to force my protein shake down. This morning, I could not finish my cereal and yogurt. At lunch I thought I was going to blow my pouch as I was trying to eat my salmon and melba toast...and then it started...this thick, foamy mucous, in my throat. It felt like sharp edges of melba toast (even though it was chewed to a pulp) was trying to poke through my pouch.  I was sure everything was coming up. I fought it and fought it and finally went into the bathroom. I have a history of both ends being active when the top end is going, so I thought, fine...I'll sit and what happens happens. I passed a massive gas bubble and all was right with the world. I'm still having constipation issues, even with the laxative the doc gave me. I stuck with a poached egg, tonight , 2 soda crackers and some strained peas...all is right with the world. However, it's bedtime and time for my protein shake and I just want to go to bed. I'm really having trouble getting everything in, that I'm supposed to. It would be so much easier if I could do a cheese string or something, instead of the protein shake, at bed. 

Leanne1
on 10/9/13 12:09 pm - Newmarket, Canada
I think you should take things a little slower. Sounds like you are "forcing" thing too fast! No need to do that.
If it were me, I'd likely skip the shake and drink water for the night. Start fresh tomorrow and don't force anything! Slow your eating down and take it easy. It gets better but slow down

Just my opinion..

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

highlandbear
on 10/9/13 12:29 pm - Canada

I am not understanding are you at the pureed stage or not. If you are than what were you doing eating melba toast.  When they say puree there is a reason why and you have found out why. Than you say you had crackers. Again  that is not puree. Take a look and make sure on what you are suppose to be eating at what stage.

Charlene Straus
on 10/9/13 12:46 pm - Mississauga, Canada
On our eating schedule, in the puree stage, we are allowed melba toast and saltine crackers

highlandbear
on 10/9/13 9:33 pm - Canada

I would stick to stuff that is puree. We were never allowed that on puree stage.

hibbyangel
on 10/10/13 4:00 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

my eating plan also said melba toast and saltine crackers..never had any troubles

Chelsea1
on 10/9/13 1:00 pm - Canada
That's so crazy that you're allowed cereal (not sure if it's Oatmeal) and poached eggs. I was only allowed to start eggs after 2 weeks but when I ate it, I landed myself in the hospital.

I would definitely back it up with eating. Even though you're technically allowed, stick to things that go through smoothly. I get foamies a lot for all different reasons but I didn't that early out. I'm a bit concerned.

4-Jane
on 10/9/13 1:25 pm, edited 10/9/13 1:25 pm - Canada

Yup, I get it, I'm working at protein shake number two but more often in the past two days its been hard to eat .  It does not seem to matter what either,  I was trying to eat soup for lunch and thought okay ill just drink the fluid and leave the rest, but that was not going to happen, I'm working at trying to eat but this has been tough.  Hope tomorrow is better,  we are worth it so rest assured ill find my balance, hope you find yours too.

added my surgery date was September 10th at TWH

Respectfully Jane
johjen
on 10/9/13 1:50 pm

You are still really soon out.  you want to try to get in what you can, but dont force yourself to eat too much.  At this point it is most important to stay hydrated.  So lots of water... drink your shakes slowly... you dont HAVE to have a shake before bed (I have never had one before bed...) have one in the morning and one in the afternoon... then you can have something smaller that is not so filling before bed.. (like cheese).  Whenever I try something new... I take a small bite (chew the crap out of it) put the fork down and wait a full 2 minutes before taking another bite.. you will know pretty quickly if it is going to sit well... If it does not I abort mission and eat something else. 

From what I have seen (not experienced... my pouch is a ***** and likes just about everything) most people have trouble with eggs, fish, sea food, white carbs (ie. rice, bread etc) pork... 

(tip... from Julie (unauthorized...lol) When the foamies appear... take one small sip of water... wait a few seconds and take one more slightly bigger sip of water... with RNY, this often pushes through whatever is causing the problem.

Charlene Straus
on 10/9/13 9:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Thank you for Julie's tip! I certainly will try tjat!

Most Active
Recent Topics