I Love This Board But....

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/30/13 6:09 am - Windsor, Canada

I love this board but....

we need to get real on regain here. 

I talk to SO MANY wonderful people who are afraid to post on this board because they are 6 months out, 12 months out, 2 years out ...whatever and have had regain.  They are too embarrassed to come here and post and chat about regain so they find other places to post feeling alienated from the wonderful people on this board.  I love this board and I believe that future patients need to know the good, bad and ugly.  Surgery isn't a solution to being obese.  It's a tool only. 

So I'm hear to say, PLEASE don't leave this board.  Please come here and post and let others know the reality.  It's a strong and powerful message to know that:

1) Head issues are not resolved with weight loss surgery.  Gastric bypass fixes the body, not the head.

2) That it is possible to succeed, possible to fail with gastric bypass....but NO MATTER if you gain 5 lbs, 10 lbs or 30, you are NOT NOT NOT a failure.  You've kept off 100 lbs and gained 20 lbs....My goodness - that's not the definition of a failure in any respect!!! Please love yourself for the work you HAVE done whether it's 20, 50, 100 or 150 lbs gone. 

3) That regain is REAL.  Most of us have it.  Many of us beat ourselves up over it constantly.  This ain't easy, folks.

4) We need to support one another and talk openly so that newbies know and expect that past the first two year or two, the real challenge begins.  We know how easy it was to lose the weight, in comparison to the work it takes to keep it off.

Every day can be a struggle to stay on target. Some days I have all the motivation in the world.  Other days, I want to cry on the scale. 

This journey begins with surgery.  It doesn't end once you get to goal.  It just doesn't.  Many of us go up and down like a rollercoaster for the rest of our lives.  I admire those that seem to get the hang of the whole moderation thing....but I SUCKED at moderation before surgery and 7.5 years later, I STILL SUCK at it. 

Anyways, just reminding those to please be kind to us long timers :) And I hope to see more of them around these parts.  They have a very important message to share!  I can only cross fingers that I'll see a few more around these parts in 2014!!!!! 

Please message me if I can ever help you in your journey :)

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

gwynnkitty
on 12/30/13 6:13 am - North York, Canada

EXCELLENT post. Thank you, Dawn!

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Hennagirliegirl
on 12/30/13 6:30 am - Canada

Thank you for your wonderful post Dawn. There is an undertone on this board, I have felt it since joining. And, in all honesty have not posted things for fear of judgement. If I'm feeling this way as a fairly newbie ( surgery Nov. 4 th) I'm sure others are as well.

It's wonderful that you brought this up, put it on the table so to speak!

I didn't lose any weight last week, I had some shortbread and popcorn, there, it's out there....but you know what? Every other year I would have had a hell of a lot more, and gained several pounds during this season.

So, although it would have been nice to have lost, I didn't. i felt part of the celebrations, I feel positive to move forward now.

Thank you Dawn for opening things up so that I could share that!

Cheers

Terri

Test

zillohe S.
on 12/30/13 6:36 am - Paris, Canada
Amen!
Amarachi
on 12/30/13 7:06 am - Canada

Thank you Dawn for your message, we as Newbies need the reality check to understand that alot of hard work goes into this and it is not just a cake walk to lose weight.  The experience the vets have is invaluable and appreciated greatly.  I read on here daily for the good and the bad.  Now that my surgery is only 3 weeks away i take from others who have walked before me to believe in myself that i can get through the Opti phase and that i will do excellent after surgery.  My expectations are appropriate and i know what i am headed for.  I can tell you though that without the support and information on this board many would miss out on the health and chance to live again.

Orientation HRRH Oct 21,13 / Surgeon Nov 1,13 / SW,RD,RN, Internist Dec 3,13 / PATTS Jan 14,14 / Surgery Jan 20,14

TanyaLH
on 12/30/13 7:08 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

Thank You!!!

Nanato2
on 12/30/13 7:11 am, edited 12/30/13 7:13 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

THANK-YOU FOR YOUR POST

I would love to hear from people that have had struggles and regained some weight.  I am 10 months out and the last month or so I have had some real struggles and would love to hear from others who can give advise, tips or just someone to talk with.

I come and read the board and find it is mostly newbies which I try and answer their questions the best I can but would love to see people who are further out discussing real issue that we face when the honeymoon period is over.

We all need advise and help whatever stage we are in during our journey. Everyone is human and has struggles.

Lynn

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

G_mama_d
on 12/30/13 7:33 am - North Bay, Canada

Amen, great post!

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

southbay311
on 12/30/13 7:43 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

sing it out and Loudly....this is the truth, It certainly isn't easy and we need to be proud and mindful for all of our efforts.

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
southbay311
on 12/30/13 7:48 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

For the record it will be 2 years in February and I am still scared every time I go to hop on the scale.  I am forever mindful of what I am doing but some days are certainly harder then others.  I can eat almost anything, pasta and starches are hard for me, potatoes set heavy in my pouch but I love them.  Still staying away from fries not had any in over 2 years. I limit myself to a couple of cookies now and then.  Did relatively well for the holidays but it is an EFFORT.

worth the effort but it time I know this struggle will get worse.  Being real is hard and this will always be WORK.

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active
Recent Topics