c-map machine, worst enemy or best friend?

bee28
on 8/6/14 7:32 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

I just recently got my c-pap machine and tried it for the night and I had to remove it after a little while.

I am used to sleeping on my stomach and am kind of all over the place so sleeping with this foreign object on my face felt really uncomfortable. Not to mention that the sleeping test was the most horrible experience so far of this journey for myself anyway.

Did anyone have much trouble adjusting to the machine and how long does it usually take for you to finally get used to having it as a nightly thing.

I was told by the doctor to "practice" with it during the day to get used to it quicker but it just seems so impossible.

Karen M.
on 8/6/14 7:54 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yeah, I had quite a period of adjustment with mine as well. I'd wake up with it off having ripped it off in my sleep. That lasted, on and off, for about 3 weeks, when I finally was used to it enough to sleep through and not tear it off mid-way through the night.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

redviking
on 8/6/14 11:41 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

OMG! I had sooooo much trouble getting used to my c-pap.  After trying, not trying and actually delaying my timeline to surgery, I asked my family doctor for a prescription for a sedative I could take at night. He was totally on board. After about 3 or 4 nights using Lunesta, I was sleeping all night with my mask on and I was able to get used to it.  If you need help, ask for it! I wish I would have asked earlier.  

Good luck! I know it sucks!  It's just another obstacle that you can get over!

Sonja

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

bee28
on 8/7/14 4:36 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

I'm wondering if maybe even an over the counter sleep aid would help me out without having to get something prescribed? It scares the bajesus outta me lol i'm so used to rolling around on my stomach all night and having that thing on is so uncomfortable not to mention the air restriction around your face. Thank you for the tip.

betony63
on 8/6/14 12:04 pm

If it's any help, I absolutely HATED mine... And now I can't sleep without it! 

I also second the suggestion of a sedative for a few nights until you get used to it. I sometimes take Midnight (OTC)

Good luck! It's worth the struggle...

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

bee28
on 8/7/14 4:36 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

Thank you

Needanewbeginning
on 8/6/14 1:39 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I honestly had a terrible time adjusting to it. I had to try many different styles of masks and after three months finally found one that I could use. Keep at it, its nit easy but it's well worth it.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

iHeartTeas
on 8/7/14 4:55 am

I picked up mine on Saturday and I am terrified. I hope I get used to it quickly. Good luck!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/7/14 5:45 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It takes some getting used to.

I used mine for over a year before I had surgery.  When I lost a lot of weight, the mask I had no longer fit me.  I tried another style which was even worse.  I finally found one that fits my newly shaped head and life is much better.  If you find the mask uncomfortable after trying to get used to it for a couple of weeks, check with the company who supplied it and let them know.

I also found a gel pillow from Costco that doesn't interfere with the mask or hose when I sleep on my side, which is most of the night.  

Pillow

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Dave_J
on 8/7/14 11:46 am - Canada

I must be lucky...I was used to mine after the first night.  A big thing too might be which mask you have.  I have a full face mask, and sleep mostly on my stomach.  Good luck- you'll get used to it...

Dave

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

Most Active
Recent Topics