Smoking and appointments......

iSeeTheLight2015
on 4/13/15 6:09 am

So I've been smoking for about 13 years now and I've read on this amazing site of very helpful people that a lot of surgeons will not operate if you smoke (I definitely understand why). Since deciding about going through this process after lots of reading on this site I knew I had to quit for the right reasons so the day I spoke to the doctor about a referral I also asked for champix. I've read lots that surgeons won't operate unless you've quit for 3-6 months (some require a different length of time) so I wanted to start the process of quitting straight from the gate right after I read this. As of now I have quit. I've also read that if you say you quit at orientation they will not start booking your other apointments until (let's say) you have not smoked for 6 months. My question is I haven't smoked for 2 weeks and my orientation is April 27th, do I say I recently quit or that I don't smoke? Technically both are true but will it delay the process even more if I say I recently quit?

Referral: March 25th 2015 Orientation: April 27th 2015 Nurse: April 13th 2016 Internist: May 26th 2016 Nutritionist: June 1st 2016 Social worker: June 9th 2016 Surgeon: June 20th 2016 Surgery: July 15th 2016

NorthernStar
on 4/13/15 6:28 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Congrats on quitting! It is tough but hang in there

It's hard to say, different centres have different policies but generally you need to be smoke free for 6 months at the time of surgery. This may or may not move your appointments back. Don't sweat it, just be honest if they ask and keep on track with being smoke free.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

iSeeTheLight2015
on 4/13/15 7:13 am

Thank you! Definitely one of the hardest things I've had to do especially when it was the thing I went to when I was stressed out or upset and now finding things to keep me busy and my mind off of smoking.

Roma
on 4/13/15 7:21 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Congrats on quitting! That is awesome, keep it up. 

I quit about 9 months ago, when I got my referral. The first appointment I had was with the nurse, and as a part of the blood and urine testing she/he orders, they are testing to ensure you have not smoked for 6 months at least. So, ask at the orientation - they are going to find out anyway when they do your tests! 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Kate M.
on 4/13/15 7:40 am - toronto, Canada

Don't sweat it too much. Be honest, they will press you for specifics, ie "Have you ever smoked? When was your last cigarette?" Most likely you will have at least 6 months smoke-free before surgery either way so makes sense to be honest. They DO randomly test you for nicotine so you have to be off all nicotine supplements as well (ie gum, lozenges), just FYI, because the urine test can't differentiate between nicotine gum and a cigarette ;) 

For me, being "forced" to quit smoking was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I've told the people at my centre that.

May 1, 2015 - RNY TWH | HW 322 | SW 301 | Feb 27, 2016: 175lbs

Patm
on 4/13/15 8:31 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If you lie and they find out through testing it will not look good in your record. They may then question your committment. I have found that being honest with them works in your favour in the end

iSeeTheLight2015
on 4/13/15 9:08 am, edited 4/13/15 9:11 am

I plan on being honest as I don't want to make myself look bad if they find out I just recently quit. I've read that people quit smoking 2 weeks before they had their surgery but people are also saying smoke free for 6 months before you even have all your appointments to get surgery. So how do people still smoke and go through all of their appointments? or is it just that every program is different?

Can they really tell how long you have been smoke free if the nicotine is out of your blood and urine after 72 hours .I know they say it can be a little bit longer depending on how much you smoke. 

Drvn2skcede
on 4/13/15 11:44 am

Nicotine can clear your system in a relatively short period of time but its metabolites can take a couple weeks to clear. Congrats on quitting! Keep it up, it will be one of the best decisions you ever make.

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Chilipepper
on 4/13/15 11:47 am

Congratulations to you and your decision!  With this kind of positive outlook, you will be very successful in your journey!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Nanato2
on 4/13/15 8:17 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Congrats on quitting some centres also test you for smoking as well.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics