Hospital packing list

Susan40
on 6/5/15 10:14 am - Canada

Hi Everyone,

Next week at this time I will be in the O.R. at TWH.  Soooo excited. Opti has grown on me, I'm down 20lbs with a week still to go.  I am actually enjoying the shakes and most cravings have simply disappeared.  Head hunger I now know is a real thing but I feel like I have good control over it😊. 

I was wondering if I could ask all you post-ops what you took with you for your stay? Was there anything you wish you had with you?  I will have to stay in Toronto 2 days post discharge before heading home and was wondering what you all packed for those days....Food wise? 

Thanks

Susan 

NorthernStar
on 6/5/15 11:19 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I packed a whole bag of stuff, but the only thing I used was my lipbalm. Make sure you have some good lipbalm! I brought pajamas, tissue, some toiletries, unscented hand lotion and some books/magazines but I didn't touch any of it.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

margarita_mrs
on 6/5/15 2:06 pm

Same thing here!  I did also use my cellphone and my ipad to watch part of a movie.  That was it.

Referral sent- June/July 2014  Orientation GGH- Aug. 28/14  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist- Sept. 18/15  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist Part 2- Nov. 18/15  Pre-surgery education class- Feb. 9/15  Meet surgeon - Mar. 23/15  Surgery date- May 29, 2015  A great day to start a new chapter in my life!

Meggles07
on 6/5/15 11:37 am - Canada

I would recommend ear plugs and an eye mask. My first night was okay, but the second night my roommate had a knee replacement and needed hourly visits from the nurse with the lights on. Also the hallways seemed quite noisy. 

Meg~

Catw
on 6/5/15 11:59 am - Arnprior, Canada

I had more than I needed.  For the hospital, take slippers or crocks.  Something with traction to walk the halls in.  You might want your own housecoat (don't bother with PJs, just user theirs).  Lip balm.  Some take their phone/laptop but I didn't.  Wear loose clothing the day you go in, and you can wear the same thing coming out (who will care or notice).

Take what you think you need for post surgery (toiletries etc)  Loose clothes to change into.  Bring your vitamins. (if you want to take full jars of pills, get/user a couple pill organizers and set it up the day before).  Magazines/computer/phone.

As for food, take a look at the food plan your clinic gave you.  I'm sure I was on full fluids at that point.  So cream soups (unless you share, 1 can will go a long way).  Protein shakes.  Things like that.

This is an exciting part of the journey!  Heal well!

Cathy

tatirod
on 6/7/15 1:39 pm - Toronto, Canada

Do you need to bring soup because the hospital doesn't feed you or because their food is not so tasty? Sorry, never been hospitalized. 😄

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Catw
on 6/7/15 2:40 pm - Arnprior, Canada

You don't need it in the hospital.  While there you'll be on a clear fluid diet (broth, decalf tea, decalf coffee etc).  But you might need it in the hotel afterwards.

Cathy

mypita58
on 6/5/15 1:34 pm - Windsor, Canada

Pillow for the ride home. Put it between you and the seatbelt.

Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
northernga1
on 6/5/15 2:42 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada

Dont forget to pack pads incase you start your period 

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

LeslieT
on 6/5/15 6:58 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

I'm excited for you. It will be here before you know it.

I used the slippers that I brought and the pillow between the seat belt and me in the car. I also ended up reading most of a book and 4 magazines. My support person wasn't feeling well so I was on my own in the hospital after about 3:30. I was pretty bored so I was glad I had the book.

I had another book for the hotel and I also brought my laptop. We brought too much food for that early out. I ate about a third of a can of tomato soup, 2 greek yogurts and protein drinks. I had a lot of nausea so someone else may have eaten more in those couple of days. I was glad that I brought several t-shirts because I got blood on them and I was glad to change into something clean (I wear t-shirts as pajama tops). I wore yoga pants and pajama bottoms. I brought more clothes than I needed but we didn't really go anywhere except around the block. Make sure your pants are loose. My stomach was kind of swollen so anything snug wouldn't have fit.

Highest: 250 - 30 pounds lost pre-op - Surgery Weight: 220 Current: 156 Goal: 145

Most Active
Recent Topics