Surgery in 2 weeks - freaking out

Kat_G
on 10/19/16 7:58 am - Perth, ON
RNY on 11/01/16

Hi everyone, 

My name is Kat and I will be having RNY surgery Nov. 1st out of Hotel Dieu Hospital in Kingston.  I am wondering if there are any others who have had surgery out of HDH? 

I am on day 2 of Opti and hating every second!  I'm starving!!  Hoping that this passes soon.  I've been told I only need two weeks of opti (suppose this is a blessing reallly). 

I'm starting to freak out a bit...  I know this is what I need to do for my health but it's scary.  Any advice from you would be great.  

HW- 249

Pre-Opti W- 243

SW-? 

Kathy1212
on 10/19/16 8:37 am

Hi Kat,

I'm a Kat too, lol.  I have no wisdom to share as I'm still in pre-op, waiiting for my surgery date, which I was told will be in January.  I hope the Optifast isn't too icky.  I'm not looking forward to that part and I suspect I'll need to be on Opti over Christmas, given what the surgeon said when I met him.  Is it really awful?

Nov. 1st will get here real soon; so happy for you.   I wish I could get surgery before Christmas instead of in January.

Good luck!

Kat_G
on 10/19/16 7:42 pm - Perth, ON
RNY on 11/01/16

So day 2 of Opti is going a little smoother.  I'm still super grumpy with a constant headache but I haven't craved food as much today.  Hoping tomorrow will be even easier!  The flavour is growing on me.  I picked up some sf syrups so hoping that will give a little umph! 

Hope your journey goes smoothly.  I understand you can request to move your date back if you don't want to be on opti through Christmas... 

Catw
on 10/19/16 10:40 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Kat,

Take a deep breath, you'll be fine.  This can be scary, as it will change your life.  And until you go through it, you don't know what's on the other side.  This is completely normal.  One thing you can do to help with this, is to write everything you are feeling down.  Helps you get it out of your mind so it's not all you concentrate on.

As for the Opti, lots of suggestions for you.  Check out the Surviving Opti thread in the Ontario Recipes forum.  There are lots of ideas there for things that you can add to your shakes to change the flavor.  Make sure your water is a cold as can be.  If I remember right, I used 12 oz when I did it, and kept my water in the fridge between shakes.  Take a look at your average daily schedule.  Divide it so that you have shakes at regular intervals.  In between, drink lots of water.  If you are allowed any extras (each centre is different, I was allowed sf Jello as one) have them, or broth.  If you are told to have 4 shakes a day, have 4 shakes a day.  Try different amounts of water, less water is thicker, some make it thick like a pudding.  If you want to crunch on something, ice cubes.

When you start getting hungry, if it's  not shake time, do something.  Start a hobby, go for a walk, pick up a book.  Grab a glass of water.

I didn't have problems, and most say that after a couple days you don't feel hungry any more.  It's more the habit of eating something (head hunger) than real hunger.

And keep your eye on the prize.  This is only for 2 weeks of your life.  You can do this.  It is only part of the journey.

I wish you well,

Cathy

blueherring
on 10/19/16 2:29 pm
RNY on 12/23/16

Great advice!

Kat_G
on 10/19/16 7:45 pm - Perth, ON
RNY on 11/01/16

Thanks for the advice.  I've picked up some sf syrups and today has been slightly better.  I think you're right about the "head hunger".  

I've started a new crochet project that has been helpful in keeping me busy.  Plus today was gorgeous so a perfect day to be outside! 

NKO
on 10/24/16 4:52 pm

Where was your sleep test done?  Did you get a call or do they just send a date via the mail.  Txs.  NKO

NKO
on 10/24/16 4:56 pm

For Kingston people. 

NKO
on 10/24/16 5:04 pm

Should have mentioned the location for my sleep study question.  KINGSTON   Where are people referred to for the sleep study in Kingston.  How are you notified about your date??  Thanks.  

Kat_G
on 10/24/16 5:19 pm, edited 10/24/16 10:20 am - Perth, ON
RNY on 11/01/16

I received a phone call from the bariatric clinic.  My test was done in Kingston just up the street from Hotel Dieu.  I believe the doctor's name was  Dr. Carlisle.

Most Active
Recent Topics