Drinking and eating

Patm
on 12/10/16 7:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

In the first phase after surgery soup is need while your pouch heals. I used to add protein power to mine.

Now almost 5 years out I only have soups I make. These are usually more like a stew. Recently I was out and served a soup before dinner. It was like eating nothing. I could still eat my dinner. So really just empty calories

thisgirl
on 12/10/16 7:58 am

My nutritionist said pho is fine ... I said I'd get no noodles. This is confusing.

Anyone had tom yum spicy soups post surgery?

(surgery - Nov 4)

Patm
on 12/10/16 8:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Sorry I would not follow this advice. I can not see this keeping you full. Dense protein is essential. The people who have the best and longest lasting success will tell you this is what kept them full and able to stay on track.

First year is for maximizing your loss. It is harder the further out your get. It is also a good time to learn new habits

Heather_Austin
on 12/10/16 11:05 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I was able to drink small amounts with meals until about six months ago.  I get dumping with my VSG if I drink liquids with foods.  There are two kinds of dumping (early phase and late phase).   I get early phase which happens when food is pushed into the intestine too soon.  It can happen with any kind of food.  Sugar causes it in many people.  I actually get it worse with dense protein.  As long as I stick with no liquids 30 minutes before or 60 minutes after a meal I'm fine. 

The late phase dumping has something to do with blood sugar levels (if I recall correctly).   You can read about the different types on WebMD, mayo, etc.  I found it helpful after my Dr. explained what was happening.

Heather - Austin, TX

Mahalo F.
on 12/11/16 6:41 am

Hello,

They want you to eat first and wait 30 minutes before having anything to drink. They want the food to remain in the pouch for nutritional reasons. Fluids would flush the food out and apparently you are at risk for malnutrition.

I have been trying to do that for the past month.

It is very hard!

Hope this helps

Mahalo

thisgirl
on 12/11/16 6:51 am

Thanks. Yes it does. I'm confused as to why I was told soup was ok though.

(surgery - Nov 4)

Most Active
Recent Topics