Diet after Sleeve?

scochrane86
on 4/28/17 11:30 am

I just had my final classes before I get my surgery date and they went through post/pre op diet requirements.

I have no Pre-op requirements other than liquids 24 hours before surgery, but after surgery is 2 weeks of clear fluids and 2 weeks of full fluids.

Is this about the norm?

What did you stock up on to get you through those 4 liquid weeks?

I have a protein goal of 70-80g - how did you get all that in just being on a liquid diet?

My first 2 weeks of clear fluids also allows meal replacements, but I would need to drink 6 of them to get my goal in?!

Manda32
on 4/28/17 12:32 pm

I had my VSG surgery six weeks ago on Wednesday. May I ask what site you are going through? Sounds a tad different from mine, but every site is different.

I had two weeks of Opti before my surgery...lucky you clear liquids for one day before surgery lol I had 1 week of clear fluids, and three weeks of full fluids. I was not allowed meal replacements. My site doesn't like protein shakes the first month either, but I decided to go on them shortly after I was on full fluids as I wasn't remotely getting close to any protein amount.

Especially when you are on clear fluids, the most important thing is getting your fluids in. Really the first month is more about fluids than protein. From what I was told, I wouldn't worry too much about protein while your on clear fluids, your not go ing to get 70 to 80. In fact when I moved to full fluids, they say they want you to work up to 40g of protein. I was able to get get about 40 or so with the use of a protein shake otherwise I would have barely been getting 15 to 20g of protein in on my full fluid diet. Even at my 3 week post op appointment my goal seems to be 40 plus grams of protein, until about 3 months when they expect the 60-80g of protein. I'm getting in the 50s protein wise these days. If you can get to your goal sooner than that great, if not do your best. Just remember fluids are most important! I still struggle to get my minimum in at six weeks consistently. I'm working on that.

As for stuff to buy. Have clear broths, jello, decaf tea, and lots of water! Full fluids, low fat cream soups strained, skim milk, yogurt, low fat pudding, some plans allow for cottage cheese. Check what's on your list of allowed full fluid foods.

Good luck to you. Have any questions let me know. Not alot of sleevers on this forum (or so it seems).

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

scochrane86
on 4/28/17 12:51 pm

I am going through Red Deer (Alberta)

They were very clear in saying we need to try and get our protein goal in (even while on the liquid diet) and encouraged several meal replacement shakes a day. I am just not sure I can stomach them as I don't like them to begin with.

I meet with my nurse next month so I will have a few questions for her to clear up some things.

Manda32
on 4/28/17 2:09 pm

So many different rules. I mean even in Ontario site to site is so different.

I don't think I could have ever gotten in that amount of protein in the first month. If your using the meal replacements than I'm guess you could, but sounds like it would be hard to do, when getting in the adequate water for the day is hard enough so early out.

If you are a member to costco they have a pre made protein shake, called premier protein. Its widely accepted in most ontario sites to use during your full fluids phases to help you get the protein in. They have 30 grams of protein in one drink and low in sugar. I like the chocolate, vanilla not a fan of. That's another options, at least during your full fluid phase. You'd have to have at least two a day, they are about 384ml in size. However I struggled to drink a whole one in a day.

In my humble opinion, sounds like they might be expecting too much especially in the first two weeks while you are on clear fluids. Unless you can have these meal replacements in the clear fluid phase. I'm not a doctor by any means, but in my experience I couldn't even get 5 or 6 cups of water in the first week, still having trouble six weeks later. Not everyone has this much difficulty as I, but even the first week, trying to drink six of these meal replacements...I don't know the size of them but sounds like it would be tough to do.

Talk to your nurse next month, and ask all the questions you need. As what the nurses/doctors/dietitians told me fluids are the most important thing in the first few weeks.

Good luck.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Most Active
Recent Topics