RMR and BodPod Tests

Ginnny
on 12/14/17 6:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hey everybody. So yesterday I went for the two tests. Some interesting results, yet I have mixed emotions.

So RMR test - if you haven't had one they basically measure the oxygen you expend when you breathe. This is very accurate in determining your required caloric intake. So for me to just lay in bed all day it said I need 1844 calories just for normal body function. WHAT! That equates to a **** ton of food. Even if you did lay in bed all day, they recommend you eat more calories to prevent deficiencies. Ya Ya. So given that I don't lay in bed all day (sadly, some days this would be welcome) just how much food am I supposed to eat and where exactly am I supposed to put it?

So on to the BodPod test. I was a little disappointed in this one in the lack of stats/details it provided. I've seen other peoples Dexa scan results on the main board and the test I had pales in comparison. What it did tell me is:

% Body Fat - 29.5 (yesterday my scale said 29.1 so I glad that it seems to be fairly accurate)

% Fat Free Mass 70.5 (d'uh even I can do math)

Fat Mass - 51.593 lbs

Fat Free Mass - 123.023 lbs

So my weight last night was 174.6 and yesterday morning I was 171.5 so again, I figure my scale is pretty accurate given the different times of day.

So to summarize I am Moderately Lean - so my fat level is "generally acceptable" for good health. This annoyed me. This category is 22 - 30%. I can't imagine what I would look like if I was lean.

The BodPod test also estimates your RMR (I was told it is not as accurate at the actual RMR test) and it came out at 1534 calories. Goes on to say someone who is sedentary should be at 1902, a low active person at 2332, active person 2669 and very active 3175. So as an active person should I be adding approximately 1000 calories to my RMR to support my body function and activity? Very confusing.

So the challenge for me now is to increase my calories to the point where I am still maintaining. If I start gaining I'll be pissed. It is a little disconcerting thinking about how my low caloric intake lately may be affecting my body functions. So I will try to add some more calories with mostly protein, and a few more good carbs. I guess meat and cheese you will be my friend.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/17 1:19 pm

Amazing! Would you mind sharing where we could get this done and cost?If you don't want to publicly share can you send me a private message please!

thanks you are doing so well.. and yes you must have amazing muscle mass!

Ginnny
on 12/15/17 8:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I had it done at Med Point Fitness in London. The tests are $100.00 but if you do them both at same time you get 10% discount.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/17 9:09 am

Thank you! I found it in TO - rmr is 200$ and bod pod not found yet!

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/17 3:32 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

I'm thinking of doing a dexa Scan pre surgery and a year post surgery. I've found a location in Toronto that does it for $125 and takes about a half hour.

Thinking it will keep me even more focused if I do one prior and I'm sadistic enough to wonder just how badly I've damaged myself with my years of overeating.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/17 5:03 am

Where please if you don't mind. I did to speak to one in the west end and she said obese people may not be able to be fully scanned.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/17 6:22 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Bone Wellness Centre, 855 Broadview Avenue, Suite 305

I emailed asking about pricing and mentioned my plans for a before and after scan. Nothing was said about it not working. I would be interested in knowing if this is the same place you contacted.

Karen

BluIzGal
on 12/15/17 8:37 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I went there and did one the first day of opti, and each year since surgery. It's very interesting to see the changes.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/17 10:46 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

So no problem with the fact that you were obese? Did they mention it might limit the scan?

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/17 1:19 pm

She asked me the weight- then told me they may not scan the arms/elbows - width problem.

Most Active
Recent Topics