Newbie advice?

Chrissyq333
on 3/22/18 11:33 am - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

Hi everyone,

I was just referred for bariatric surgery on Tuesday! They are mailing me the information package this week. I am just wondering, what would be the best advice you can give me to help me get through this (probably) year or so wait until the surgery. I am already very anxious and nervous about it all, but so excited at the same time.

thank you!

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

corriev
on 3/22/18 11:57 am
VSG on 03/06/18

it seems like a long time, but it went by fast for me.. Do what is expected of you, and attend the side courses that you need to. The program will go at your pace. I am new to the looser bench and am loving the feeling so far. There are going to be very tuff days, but look at the end picture of a healthier you. Good luck. once its all done, you'll think it didn't take that long after all.

jenkh
on 3/22/18 1:38 pm
RNY on 03/12/18

I'm sure you already have but do lot's of research. They are going to throw a lot of information at you. And its better when you're already prepared and know the big stuff. Then you can focus on the questions and concerns you specifically have.

It may feel like a long road but the time goes surprisingly quick

Humber - Orientation : Sept 2016 - Meet the Surgeon: Nov 2017 - Nurse/Dietitian/SW - Jan 15 2018 - Internalist - Feb 7 2018 - Final Surgeon Appt: Feb 12 2018 - Optifast - Feb 26 2018 - Pre-Op Feb 27 2018 - Surgery: March 12 2018

oneatatime
on 3/22/18 2:02 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Welcome to the boards! This is an amazing place to be. It was, without question, the thing that helped me the most as I prepared for surgery. I got all my questions answered (even the ones I didn't know I had), I found endless support, I learned tips and tricks along the way, and I made amazing friends.

My best advice is to do the journey your way. For me, it meant calling for cancellations, being very present on the boards, learning tons about the different surgeries... really immersing myself into the bari world. That doesn't work for everyone. Figure out what works for you... go at your pace, learn who you click with, make friends, go to support groups if that's your thing.

Welcome! And here's to a great journey for you!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

SweetRide1
on 3/22/18 2:20 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Congratulations!

My advice to you is to start making the small changes now that will make you successful later. It's so much easier after surgery if you have made the behavioural changes and beforehand.

Good Luck and keep posting and letting us know what's happening.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Chrissyq333
on 3/23/18 5:19 am - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

It's great to hear such positive things. So far everyone that I have told, friends and family, have been super supportive. I have struggled and lost over a hundred pounds twice, (130lbs the first time and 120 lbs the second) but my lowest weight was only ever 230lbs and I just cannot keep it off! It always comes back with a vengeance, I am 30 now, 285 lbs (maintained) and definitely pre-diabetic due to having gestational diabetes twice. I think that it's time for me to do this before I make it to a point of no return. Luckily I already do eat quite healthy, and have a great knowledge of nutrition and exercise and I know that will help my journey tremendously. I think my major hurdles after surgery are that I have allergies to eggs and aspartame, therefore post-op I will need to be careful but from what I hear you develop your own set of intolerance anyway. I can't wait to get to make some friends and follow people on their journeys. I am even thinking of blogging/vlogging my experience. Thanks for such a warm welcome!

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 3/23/18 11:29 am

Congratulations and welcome!

The road to our better self is to let go of the past and focus on our future- one step at a time.

I started my journey in May 2017. I just had my sleeve operation performed on the 22nd of March. Not quite a year. I went through Hamilton. Your area may be quicker, maybe not, but don't get discouraged. If your schedule allows flexibility then call for cancellations.

As the other members here have posted, read all you can on both surgeries. Read up on life after bariatric surgery. There are plenty of blogs good and bad, pro and con. Knowing more about the procedures beforehand will help you understand what the good people of these bariactric centres are discussing.

Doing my happy dance for you

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Most Active
Recent Topics