An Awesome Evening

jastypes
on 4/6/11 10:52 pm - Croydon, PA
As challenging as my morning was yesterday, my evening was pretty special.  I went to my regular women's step AA meeting.  There were three new people there.  One of them had just 4 days.  We sat together during the smoke break and she started talking to me.  And her story was my story.  She developed alcoholism after having gastric bypass surgery.  The description of the events of her super fast downward alcoholic spiral -- well, I could have been telling the story myself.  It made me cry. 

I am so grateful today for my 10+ months of sobriety.  People at the meeting suggested I become her sponsor, and if she asks me, I will absolutely say yes.  I bought her a 12 & 12 last night, because she didn't have one.  We exchanged phone numbers.  I am going to force myself to pick up my 700 pound phone tonight just to check in with her and see how she is doing.  She lives alone, and I think that must be very tough. 

I pray that I can be a source of comfort and encouragement to her as she begins this new journey.  Talking with her brought up so many more emotions.  You know, at 300+ pounds, it was so easy to isolate, to keep away from people, to feel horrible about myself.  After losing 135 pounds, I got this great new body (well, not great, but so much more comfortable!), was able to go places without being embarrassed, wear nicer clothes, ride a bike, walk without pain, get free from my really bad marriage, find new love... and then alcohol stepped in and stole my joy for a little while. 

With God and working the 12-steps, I am get to have my joy back.  I get freedom from food addiction, alcoholism and bondage of self.  I am so very, very blessed, and I would love the opportunity to share that formula for joy with someone else.

Prayers appreciated for Becky, and for God to lead in the decision about sponsorship.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Laureen S.
on 4/6/11 11:16 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jill,

Awesome story and hopefully Becky will see the value in your having recently walked through the same thorny road and the fact that you are living your dreams as a result of surrendering one day at a time. . .

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

kgoeller
on 4/6/11 11:18 pm - Doylestown, PA
Jill,

So glad you had such an enlightening and positive experience last night... great news!  

Karen
bvohl
on 4/6/11 11:52 pm
YEAH FOR YOU!!!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Nicole0216
on 4/7/11 12:25 am - Lancaster, PA
wonderful story there are no accidents you were put there for a reason
AAfriend
on 4/8/11 5:35 pm
OMG i need to find a sponsor  like you./  I am struggeling with the whole
AA concept.  No one seems to get the food addiction  tranfer; 
jastypes
on 4/10/11 11:06 pm - Croydon, PA
She did ask, and I agreed to sponsor her.  I love the 12-step way of life and truly believe it is a path to spiritual development, healing and freedom.  This food/alcohol connection is very strong for me, and I am the queen of transfer addictions!  I do think those of us who develop alcoholism after gbs have a "special" situation, although our alcoholism is still the same... meaning, we can never safely pick it up again.  While I feel terrible that other people have had to go through, or are going through what I did with transfer addictions, I feel blessed to have a connection to now two other people in AA who now who have been in my shoes and completely understand.  Unfortunately, I will probably meet more and more along the way because I know this situation isn't really unique.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1795 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1889 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2569 views