IUD's: Mirena or Paragard ?

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 6:24 am - RI
I have a consult with my OBGYN on Tuesday to discuss IUD's.

Apparently there is the hormonal Mirena and the Copper Paragard?

Any suggestions or advice on which one you personally have?

Vanessa A.
on 9/28/11 6:27 am - FL
I have the mirena for 3 years now, and i swear by it. By year 2 mostly no bleeding, and you dont have to worry about taking it daily. Best decision ive ever made. And yes you can have it without having kids. I dnt have kids and they let me get it.

God grant me with the serenity to accept the things i cannot change ;  Courage to change the things that i can ;  and the wisdom to know the difference!!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/28/11 6:36 am
The Mirena has a low dose of hormones, low enough that I could get it without being at increased risk of blood clots as with the pill. I am on my second one now, since it has to be replaced at five years. Very happy with it--great option for me.
Hillery82211
on 9/28/11 8:55 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
You don't know how happy i am to hear you say this!!!  I have an appointment to talk to my hemotologist about getting the Mirena (my ob/gyn thinks its my best option since I don't have any kids) and I was hoping that the hormone dosage was low enough that it wouldn't increase my clotting risk!!!
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Diana C.
on 9/28/11 6:36 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
I have a history of breast cancer in the family so my OBGYN said I couldn't use the Mirena.  So I had the Paraguard put in and lemme just say wowzers.  I thought my periods got alot heavier with the Paraguard (dr said that was normal).  I also was having a lot of sharp pains.  I ended up going back to the OBGYN about 8 months later because of the pains and he said that it had shifted and was no longer in the right place and it was a miracle I wasn't pregnant.  OMG.  Praise Jesus about that one!!!

msanson
on 9/28/11 6:36 am - CA
I just got mirena a little over a week ago. It's good just had a little cramping the first couple of days I needed the mirena for the hormones.. To help my uterine lining sorry tmi...but my obgyn recommended mirena over the para guard
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 6:40 am - RI
Good responses... thanks for the info!

Let's see what Miss OBGYN has to say now.. lol
Bralen
on 9/28/11 7:00 am
I have the Paragard and I hate it. My period is twice as long and most of that time I'm convinced that I'll need a transfusion, it's that heavy.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Diana C.
on 9/28/11 7:11 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
I feel ya girlfriend.  Mine was awful.  Kaila don't get it!!!

Godgaveus2
on 9/28/11 7:14 am - WI
I have had Mirena for 3 yrs now and I could be a spokesperson for it. That's how much I LOVE it, no bleeding,no pms, no pill, no worries! I have a very close friend who had the Paraguard and actually did get prego on it and she bled so bad that she almost died. Her uterus is all screwed up now because of it. I believe it became dislodged. She did end up having a miscarriage.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views