goal weight?

gabbyabby
on 2/29/12 2:31 am
So how did you set your personal goal weight?  I picked an achieviable number. 175... i am 5'10 and thought that was a "healthy" weight/look for me. It is still 1 lbs over in the overweight catagory. 

Now that I am getting closer (32 lbs away from goal) and I am only 6 months out from surgery, I am wondering if I picked too high of a goal.  i found a web site that said my ideal wt for frame, height and gender is between 153- 173. 

So here is my question...

1. for those at goal... how did you deside you were done?

2. for those working towards a goal, how did you set your goal?

poet_kelly
on 2/29/12 2:38 am - OH
I just wanted my BMI to be in the normal range.  I didn't really have a specific number.  My surgeon thought 140 was a good number, she thought I should not go any lower than that.  I did end up lower, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jennifer M.
on 2/29/12 2:44 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 I picked a number within the healthy weight ranges.  I'm not tied to it, and I figure my body will tell me when it's done losing.   Having never been 142 as an adult, I'm not sure it's possible.  LOL

teffytmg
on 2/29/12 2:45 am - Canada
RNY on 02/15/12
I spoke with my dr about a good goal.  I am just under 5'5" and he said 125 -135 would be a good weight TO AIM FOR.  This means lets aim there and see how my body changes on the way there.  We will likely adjust the number slightly but 125 was at the lower end of my "healthy" range and means a good BMI so thats our starting point. 

Sur wt 225 lbs.1st Goal 190 Lbs,2nd Goal 175 Lbs,3rd Goal 150 lbs. BIG GOAL 125 Lbs at a loss of 100 lbs!!!!!                
Nycm
on 2/29/12 3:21 am
RNY on 02/21/12 with
I picked a number that I can't remember being below. I really don't remember being under 175 I know at 5'6" I would still be obese, but I honestly can't imagine being a lower weight. I never talked to my surgeon about it. I will be seeing her tomorrow I will talk to her about it.

Christine

CarolBeth
on 2/29/12 4:41 am - SoCal, CA
You are my height.  At my pre-surgery consultation with my surgeon, he picked 160 as my "ideal body weight."  However, when I got to 195, the internist at the same office asked if I was done losing.  She feels you are successful if you lose 80% of your excess body weight...and feel healthy.  I am not done losing and am going for the 160 lbs as long as my body goes along for the ride.  Both doctors think this is possible.  I was 150 lbs right after high school...and I felt fat.  I look back and see that I wasn't fat.  I also know I'll have lots of excess skin that weighs at least a few pounds.  Therefore, I think 160-ish would be something to aim for.  If things settle out a little higher, I think I'll be happy with that, too.  I would really love to have that normal BMI!!
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/29/12 5:39 am
Carol, let me just say how inspirational your loss is to me. My surgery weight was 310, and my goal is 165, It is so awesome to see someone who was at the same starting place and has a similar goal and well on her way to achieving it.
CarolBeth
on 2/29/12 6:21 am - SoCal, CA
I'm not sure how far out you are, but I'm sure you will do just as well.  I've been pretty lucky--no major problems or stalls.  Remember, even if you are a slower loser, or you have frequent plateaus, just stick to the program and you will succeed!!! 
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

sassygurl
on 2/29/12 4:47 am - Wasaga Beach, Canada
I am 5'6". I started out at 274lbs. My surgeon's office picked 180lbs for my goal. I would have been happy at 160lbs. I am currently 137lbs. I have been maintaining this weight since before Christmas. My body has decided where it wants to be for now and I'm just going with it. I don't want to lose anymore and am very happy at this weight.
Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/29/12 5:37 am
My surgeon's office considers success as losing 100 pounds. By that definition, I am 14 pounds away from success and I'm not even 6 months out.

I, however, picked 165 as my goal for a couple of reasons. One, although I am only 5'4", I have a considerable bust (even now). So I thought it would be reasonable to give myself an extra ten or so pounds just for bust. Two, I have always had very muscular legs, so I thought I should give myself an extra five or so pounds for that. Three, I never in my adult life have been below 175 that I know of. So to me, 165 seemed like a great number and an achievable goal.  

We shall see if I adjust my goal in the coming months. I might adjust it downward depending on if I think I can maintain a lower weight. I did pick a weight on the high side because I worried that if I picked too low of a weight I wouldn't be able to achieve it and I would beat myself up about it.

On a related note, I am a size 16 at 224. Can't wait to see what size I'll be at 165.
Most Active
Recent Topics