The path next to "the road"

Sack
on 12/6/13 9:14 am
Seven years ago today, I waddled into the hospital for RNY WLS. I weighed 425 lbs. Three days later I waddled out and started my new life down the WLS road. I followed all the rules, and worked very hard to maximize my weight loss during the 18 months following surgery. In spite of the fact that I have severe psoriatic arthritis, I went to the gym daily for two hours of cardio and strength training. I drank my water and followed a eating plan of 1000 - 1300 calories. 20 months later I had reached my goal weight of 150 lbs. I had regained my health and eliminated numerous medical concerns. I knew my hardest work was ahead of me, maintaining my loss meant staying focused and using the "skillpower" I had learned during my weight loss to maintain.

For the next 3 1/2 years I did well. Without any warning, life came at me; I lost three members of my immediate family. Nothing I was doing mattered to me, it just wasn't important. I took my supplements, but I didn't eat well, I grazed, I drank when I ate, I had no interest in working out.....I just let go of my new life. I gained and gained; I knew I was gaining and it just didn't matter. One day I got on the scale and I had put on 92 lbs. I finally cried, not for the loss of my family but for the loss of my new life. I knew it mattered to me reclaim that life. It wasn't easy, after 4 false starts I finally was able to assume a routine with a 1200 calorie eating plan and following all the WLS rules. I still had restriction, but since I didn't have malabsorption to help, I couldn't walk "the Road". I found a path that ran along side the road. It was slower going, and harder to navigate. I stumbled and fell a couple of times, but I kept going. I am finally close to my goal weight again.

I decided to share my story because it may be of some value in helping someone else. I 'thought' I would never have a regain, I 'thought' I was in control. I never thought I would have to face tragedy and continue on. It has taken some time, but I am in a better place now and continue to get stronger.

If you have read this far, thank you for your time. I wish you all continued success!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/6/13 9:25 am - OH

Good for you!  I especially applaud your perseverance amid the "false starts" and bumps in the road.

In light of the several threads today related to people saying they will never regain, etc., your post is an important one to show the reality of how life and regain can happen to ANYONE, no matter how diligent and well-intentioned and committed they are to keeping their weight off.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sack
on 12/6/13 12:31 pm
Thank you Lora. I read some of the threads that you are referring to and I hope everyone takes a deep breath and remembers there are no givens in life; we just don't know for sure what the future holds, or how we will respond. What motivates you today may be irrelevant next week.

RNY    

illinois Gama D.
on 12/6/13 12:34 pm

so true, so, so , so very true, When you have been around this long you kinda see it all and some words just never set right, so many times they are the ones coming back with weight gain wondering what went wrong,all we can do is try.............

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Miss150
on 12/6/13 9:29 am

Thank you, brave girl.  Success and health and happiness be yours today

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Sack
on 12/6/13 12:34 pm
The best to you too.

RNY    

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/6/13 10:52 am
You deserve twice the applause. You had hard times but you kept going! Keep up the excellent work.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sack
on 12/6/13 12:53 pm
Thank you!

RNY    

cajungirl
on 12/6/13 11:44 am

Life happens doesn't it and no matter what we think before things happen we can be smacked in the face by those situations.  

Glad you re-started even if it did take multiple starts you started and that IS what matters. Kudos on staying in the fight and losing the regain. You are that close, keep up the amazing hard work.....you ARE worth it. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Sack
on 12/6/13 12:38 pm
Thank you for your support. I always appreciate your posts so much; you keep it classy!

RNY    

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 54 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views