Why am I so emotional?

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 12:20 am
RNY on 04/10/14

I am 6 days postop and I feel like I am losing it.  I cant' stop crying and I just feel angry towards everyone and everything.  I'm doing everything I am supposed to be doing and I've lost 11 pounds but I just really don't care.  I don't even know why I'm crying.  I just feel miserable.

Dcgirl
on 4/15/14 12:29 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Jenny - you are so not alone!  I am 99% sure that every single person who has had this surgery feels that way.  I spent one night in the hospital and had zero complications and very little pain and was back at work in one week but I felt emotional for WEEKS.  I had moments of extreme loneliness, regret, sadness, lethargy.  My road rage was borderline scary!  I believe the official term is "hormone dumping" and likely one of the vets can chime in and tell you about what causes it.  I am just sending you a hug and let me assure you that this is totally normal.  You are likely sipping on water, trying to get your protein in, not living your normal life, and you have just gotten a divorce from your best friend in the world, FOOD.  Add that to the chemical changes your body has gone through, and it's a wonder we don't even feel worse!  I found that the following helped me:

- Call a good friend/family member.  It helps to not feel alone.

- Go for a walk.  It helps to get out of your house.

- Read through OH and focus on the positive posts - people who are losing weight, reclaiming their lives, experiencing NSVs left and right

- Shop online ;)  (ok this might not be healthy but retail therapy often helps me)

- Start a project. Do you have pictures you have been meaning to print?  A hall closet filled with expired cough syrup and the like?  Now's your chance!

- Rent a funny movie.  Have you seen The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy?

Just trust that this passes, and a month from now it will seem like it was 100 years ago.  And you will feel so good.  And when was the last time you lost 2 lbs a day?  You're literally starting a new life now and it's tough going at the beginning but you will be a different person by the end of summer :)

Good luck and come to OH for support.  We all know what you're going through!

:) Emily

Ready4Life14
on 4/15/14 1:39 am

WOW!  These are great suggestions!  I haven't been approved for Surgery yet.  But I will be sure to refer to this if/when I go through this rough patch.  Great advice!  Thank you!

karenp8
on 4/15/14 1:03 am - Brighton, IL

Sending you a big hug Jenny! This is a totally normal stage. Like DC Girl said,everything is so new and you have lost you'd best friend food. Also rapid weight loss causes large amounts of hormones to be dumped into your bloodstream as the fat they were stored in begins to break down. I promise it will get better. As you begin to lose weight and reclaim your life you will be so glad you had surgery. Hang in there!

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 1:21 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Oh sweetie, it does get better, really! The first couple of months after surgery were terrible for me. I, like you, was angry so much of the time! Crying for seemingly no reason, road rage like never before, irritated by everything my husband did...it sucked. But there's a reason for it after all: Your body stores hormones in your fat cells, and as they start to lose the fat they dump all those hormones into your bloodstream. That, plus the fact that your body has just gone through major surgery doesn't help. It's like having the worst PMS ever, for weeks! But it passes, honestly. In the meantime, take all the time you need to just go off by yourself and cry, punch a pillow, whatever feels good at the moment. (Except turning to food for comfort, of course, don't do that! )

Oh, and 11 pounds in 6 days? That's GREAT! It's a nice jump start to the weight loss, right?

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Ready4Life14
on 4/15/14 1:41 am

I'm told that this is a HUGE emotional experience.  You're making a change that will last the rest of your life.  Of course it's a big deal.  I would suggest not to suppress, but redirect. . .I love the suggestions I've read here.  Everyone is really helpful.  Keep blogging. . .keep reading. . . post comments and be sure to keep up with logging your experience.  It helps to reflect on where you've come from.

Praying for 'better days' for you!

Dee.spunk
on 4/15/14 1:46 am - Sacramento, CA
It's all the hormones being dumped into your system from the rapid weight loss. Just let it out. Cry if you need to. I put on girly movies and let it all out. Felt much better after.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

southernpeachnc
on 4/15/14 1:55 am

You're not going bonkers!  Apparently the fat cells as they shrink release their hormones that then run rampant in your system.  How can you handle all those hormones except via a rush of emotions? This is a normal reaction to all that.  Just feel it and let it go.  Just know this is going to pass! 

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 2:01 am
RNY on 04/10/14

Thank you all SO much for the posts!  I feel a lot better just knowing that what I'm going through is normal.  I will definitely take your advice and try to redirect some of these feelings and just hang in there!  Thanks again!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 439 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views