Doctor says no sleeve- anyone else?

eringudge
on 5/14/14 1:43 pm
RNY on 07/28/14

My surgeon told me today that I have mild esophagitis and can't be sleeved, at least not by him. He is very conservative, and I respect that. 

I was just looking for some support/stories from those who got the RNY after being denied the sleeve. I want to make the right decision and I'm struggling. 

Thanks!

mimiof2wins
on 5/14/14 2:10 pm - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

No sleeve for me either.  I have Barrett's Esophagus and my surgeon would only do the RNY because all the other procedures cause more acid reflux.  I have been perfec.tly happy with the RNY. No complications

SReyes71
on 5/14/14 2:49 pm

I had the RNY specifically because I had severe GERD ( acid reflux). My Dr told me the sleeve would make this worse. My stomach over produces acid and with the sleeve the acid producing part of my stomach would still be attached. The RNY completely cured me from GERD. I noticed it as soon as I woke up from surgery the burning I had in my chest and throat were gone. I am SOOOOO grateful for this. I had suffered MANY years with this disease and for it to be gone its such a blessing. SO if your Dr is concerned that the sleeve will make your esophagitis worse than he is most likely right.

I am in my 4th week post op and the first 3 weeks were rough. But it IS getting better. I am excited to be on this journey. I wish you the best and hope this helps a little bit.

tdbull
on 5/14/14 3:27 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I wanted to be revised to sleeve but surgeon said RNY was best for me due to severe reflux. Best decision we ever made. No regrets at all.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Grim_Traveller
on 5/14/14 9:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

RNY was the best thing I ever did. No complications of any kind.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ShebasMom
on 5/14/14 9:55 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I couldn't be sleeved due to severe GERD. RNY improved my GERD, but did not cure it. My weight loss was very slow due to a slow metabolism from years of yo-yo dieting. I didn't meet my goal. If I had been sleeved, I wouldn't have lost 125 lbs because of the malabsorption I got from the rny.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

AnnyBananny
on 5/14/14 10:26 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I was also planning on having the sleeve, but right at the end of the process they discovered I had esophagitis from reflux I wasn't feeling. My surgeon had a very frank conversation with me regarding the risk of moving forward with the sleeve and her recommendation that I go with RNY. The main thing that stuck with me is that reflux and damage to your esophagus is the #1 risk factor for cancer of the esophagus. Obviously everyone who has a sleeve and experiences reflux doesn't get cancer, but it was an increased risk I was unwilling to take. 

I'm now 8 weeks post-RNY and incredibly happy with my decision thus far.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Dcgirl
on 5/14/14 11:31 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am BEYOND happy with my RNY.  No pain, no complications, and I didn't even need to take five days off of work.  This varies for everyone, of course, but I am noticing a lot of people at my hospital support group are having the sleeve and think RNY is SOOOO drastic and includes CRAZY rerouting.  I don't personally think rerouting is any crazier than pulling most of your stomach out of a hole in your abdomen lol.  I am definitely benefiting from the malabsorption of calories and loving my life everyday.  On a side note, I watched my grandpa die of esophageal cancer, and it's nothing I would want to experience.  I didn't have GERD or acid reflux and still chose RNY, but if a long-term effect of that is esophageal cancer then I can understand your doctor's conservative advice.

Good luck whatever you decide!  It's an exciting journey!

The Salty Hag
on 5/15/14 12:09 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I also wanted the sleeve, but my surgeon told me RNY would be a much better fit for me since I had GERD. It's worked out very well for me! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

cindyj578
on 5/15/14 4:30 am - Saint Cloud, FL
VSG on 03/08/07 with

If you have esophagitis, don't get the sleeve.  I was sleeved, I have barrettes esophagus and now having the RNY, to save my life.  Trust me, please don't be upset about the VSG, your surgeon knows what he is talking about.  

Cindy 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 441 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?