Weight gain after surgery

TimTan
on 8/26/14 1:39 am

HELP!!!!!!!!!!  I am 7 years out and feel like a failure!  I have gained 40 pounds back and don't know where to start to get back on track.  Somebody please help me.

Caroline K.
on 8/26/14 2:43 am

Start with the basics. Are you logging everything? Not drinking with meals or for at least 30 minutes afterwards? Eating protein first and measuring portions? You can do, it'll just take more effort. Good luck!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

jefferytmc
on 8/26/14 3:23 am

How long did it take you to gain those 40 lbs?

What are you doing differently now than you were for the first 7 yrs after surgery?

As was mentioned, just get back to basics and no drinking with meals, and protein first always.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

TimTan
on 8/28/14 5:19 am

We are military and travel a lot.  So I have had little to no follow up by anyone.  I started gaining after the first year.  Sorry to say it is my fault .

MindyMac51
on 8/26/14 6:47 am

You're not a failure. You've just experienced what many of us have: a regain of 30-40 pounds. In my own case, it was 38 pounds regained only 3.5 years after RNY surgery. I ignored the scale for close to 18 months, and when I got back on, found that I had gained 38 lbs.

What went wrong: too many carbs, including bread, crackers, pasta, rice; wine; not enough exercise; not enough protein or water; no tracking of my food or exercise; ignoring the scale.

I committed myself to getting back on track in late June 2014 and have been losing at the rate of 1.5-2 lbs. a week. I have now lost 16 lbs. of the regain. Key to losing again for me: following the program I should have been following all along --  high protein, low carb diet; 1200-1400 cal./day; no wine or diet soda; at least 64 oz. water; walking 60-75 minutes 6-7 days/week; weighing myself EVERY DAY; keeping track of food and exercise at My Fitness Pal (MFP); reading and contributing posts here and at MFP.

Yes, it takes more effort to lose now, but it's not impossible to lose at a reasonable pace if you stick to the program! Even with a relapse, we can get back on track and lose! Good luck to all us relapsers. 😊

RNY 11/2/2010; HW 280; LW post-op: 182; Regain to 220; CW: 204.4; GW: 170

TimTan
on 8/28/14 5:22 am

Thank you for the encouragement.  I have scheduled an appointment with a bariatric nutritionist  hoping this will get me back on track.  Thanks for posting your getting on track plan I really need that will keep you posted.

BlackHairedGirl
on 8/26/14 10:35 am

I am as far out as you, well I was 1/15/2007 so I'll soon be 8 years post op wow.  I think we are getting good advice with the protein and no drinking after meals. The firmer the protein, the fuller I feel.  I've been stress binging lately which scares me.  My job as an attorney is intense and pressure filled and I just had a divorce with a 3 year old son.  I'm emotionally eating and I must nip it in the bud now. I'm about 170 lbs at 5'7.  I'd like to be 135 but I must get the firm protein regimen down first.  Good luck to you and us!

TimTan
on 8/28/14 5:26 am

I think I am a habitual eater and need to nip in the bud/  I recently retired from the federal serviced and my husband was military for 30 years and I just did not get the follow up treatment I needed.  I have scheduled an appointment with a bariatric nutritionist to help me get back on track. I really need to find my self worth again.  Good luck to you also.

Price S.
on 8/26/14 9:05 pm - Mills River, NC

Losing was so easy after surgery but regain is real.  I've tried to catch it before it got out of hand.  I post daily on Miles and Menus on the lightweight board and weekly weigh in on Sunday.  It really helps me to be accountable for what I am eating and how things are going.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

siberiancat
on 8/27/14 3:43 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I am 5 years post RNY.  I do weight myself every morning and have gained 7 pounds in the last year.

I'm doing a daily food diary, and thanks to a bladder suspension on Aug. 15th, I am beginning to walk again (without fear of incontinence).  I know it will take a couple of months to get these few pounds off.  I've managed to keep it to the 7 pounds for the last year (since a back injury that kept me off my feet and then the incontinence caused by the nerve damage from the back injury).

I feel fortunate to have kept the weight gain to a minimum amount and now that I can be more active, I will work to get it off.

Best wishes to you.  I've found writing down every bite really helps keep my accountable and get my minimums in.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active