Atkins?

Calif_Princess
on 3/4/15 7:53 am - Louisville, KY

Hi everyone!

5 years out from my RnY I've gained back most of the 50 pounds I lost.  I'm looking for a good diet to go on.  I tried Atkins and lost 12 pounds the first month.  But I kind of went off the diet and then gained back the weight.  I know we're supposed to have lots of protein after our RnY so I just figured Atkins would be okay.  I'm only supposed to have 20 carbs a day that that's mostly from vegetables.  As anyone had success with Atkins?

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

lynnc99
on 3/4/15 9:09 am

I did Atkins in the years before my surgery. It was one of the parade of "diets" that failed. Yes, I lost 50 lbs in a short time - but you're right, the moment you deviate in any way, the weight returns. 

Now, I am 6 years (almost) post op and have struggled with regain as well - regained 35 of 105 lbs. lost, or 1/3 of my loss. I began to face this head on in November and met with a dietitian. She has guided me through the last few months and I have lost 20 of the 35 lbs. 

We know, indeed, that diets don't work. We know a crash diet when we see it - and Atkins is, at the core, a crash diet. I lost my enthusiasm for it when I realized that this was a diet that forbade me from eating an orange or drinking some skim milk....but was hawking highly processed shakes and candy bars at every drugstore - products loaded with chemicals and sugar alcohols. 

I'll be interested to see what others say about your recommended carb intake. 20 is very low for maintenance. I don't count carbs any longer but am allowed some starch daily (I usually have 1/2 of a small sweet potato), some fruit (today it was strawberries), and some dairy - which for me is optional and I usually skip it. Protein and veggies of course, too. 

A balanced "clean" program will serve you well. Go back to what you KNOW is the right way to eat. Here's what my day looks like:

Log everything - the accountability is important. Tell the truth. 

Exercise at least a little every day.

64 oz water.

Limited caffeine. 

2 4-oz servings protein

2 whey based protein shakes - mixed with water - I get these from my dietitian

3-4 servings veggies (not the starchy ones)

1-2 servings starch ****ep clear of the refined carbs)

1-2 servings fruit

2 servings fat (this might be a tsp of butter, a tbsp of peanut butter, or 1/3 of an avocado). 

Deana_
on 3/4/15 9:16 am

Hi! I think you should go back to the plans that were given after surgery as mentioned below. Congratulations on losing 50 pounds! Just curious why in five years you never got to goal? Only asking because im 26 years old and had my surgery two months ago and started at 239 and im 198 right now. should i expect my weight loss to stop?

lynnc99
on 3/4/15 9:19 am

Deana, you should continue to lose nicely for the first year or so - that's the "honeymoon" period after RNY. After that if you still have weight to lose, you will lose it but at a slower rate. 

And be VIGILANT when you reach goal - or that regain can indeed happen. 

NYMom222
on 3/4/15 10:13 am
RNY on 07/23/14

This is an article on carbs from Bariatriceating.com. The Mantra from my Doctor is "Protein first, then veggies and then if you have room fruits and starches."  He never says no carbs, just makes you rethink their position. In this journey trying to get a long term mindset. What can I do for the rest of my life and be successful?
http://www.bariatriceating.com/2014/04/20/bariatric-carbsens e-why-carbs-matter-even-when-calories-are-low/

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 3/4/15 9:37 pm - Warren, OH

Atkins works because you end up eating less calories than you burn.  Then you get a 10% bonus from low carb.  That means if you lose 10 pounds from the low calories you get an extra pound from the low carb. 

The truth is that you can get the weight off and maintain it by eating any foods as long as the total calories taken in are less than those burned.  I am seven years out and stay at goal.  I don't do anything really special expect weigh myself every single day.  Sometimes I eat high protein, sometimes I eat high carb, sometimes I eat sugar and junk foods. 

When I am counting calories I make sure to stay at 1400 a day to maintain 136 pounds.  I have had regains as high as 145.  When that happens I diet at 900 calories a day until I am back to my goal weight.  A pound a week is what I average at 900 calories a day.

There is no magic in any foods or diet plans.  My secret is my scale.  I face it every morning and don't lie to myself about what it is telling me.  I don't attribute gain to water weight, extra muscle or any of the other excuses that people use.  I am determined not to regain.  I am in no way perfect, but I face what I do and hold myself accountable.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cathy W.
on 3/4/15 11:40 pm

The best "diet" is going back to the basics that you did when you were losing weight.  Protein first, then veggies is what I do.  I've had two periods of regain since I had my RNY in 2001.  I've lost but it was slow.  I had WLS and one of the reasons is that I was sick of diets.  I'd done Atkins, WW, Jenny Craig, etc.  The key for me to lose my regain was to eat the basics.  

You can join the Back On Track Together OH group.  We have a daily post about what's up with us and our eats for the day.  That has helped me to stay on track.  

Take it on and you can lose the regain.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Paul C.
on 3/5/15 4:22 am - Cumming, GA

You need to think of Atkins or whatever you choose as a lifestyle and not a diet.  You can try Atkins 40  which allows 40 carbs a day.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Calif_Princess
on 3/5/15 9:51 am - Louisville, KY

Thanks everyone for your kind advice!!  I'm going to just try and get my protein first.  I think I'll stay away from bread and stuff like that...and of course sugar (which I'm addicted to).  I gave up coffee a few months ago (because I have a panic disorder) so I was feeling sorry for myself and started eating a lot of sugar.  :(  I only lost 50 pounds because 4 months after my surgery I started drinking alcohol.   I because a full on alcoholic for year.  Very bad.  I finally quit, thank goodness, but it was hard.  So now I really want to start paying attention to my health again.  Thanks again!!

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

Kathyjs
on 3/5/15 11:37 am

Diets make you fat !! You know what you did wrong. Protein first and smaller portions and up the exercise. You can do it!