Pain Meds to take after Bypass

AngAng
on 7/25/17 12:27 pm

Hi all,

My surgery is scheduled for Aug. 7th. Will my pain meds be in pill or liquid form? Will I be able to take my normal meds (pill form) when I get home from the hospital?

I am wondering if I need to call and talk to the Nurse or Nutritionist?

AngAng

Revision Lap Band to RNY Approved 5/10/17 Surgery Date 6/6/2017

White Dove
on 7/25/17 12:37 pm - Warren, OH

Most of us were able to take pills right after RNY surgery, but calling the NP is a good idea.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

HonestOmnivore
on 7/25/17 1:58 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

In the hospital i was on an IV where I was able to get NSAIDs for the first 24 hours ish, then they moved me to oral meds, narcotics only and Tylenol. When I went home I took the narcotic with Tylenol at night so I could sleep well, but i only needed a little of the Tylenol during the day, and that was because I had a very sore spot on my inner abdominal wall that burned like an SOB for the first two weeks. After than, almost no pain.

Hope that helps!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Writergurl08
on 7/25/17 2:24 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

My husband was prescribed a liquid Tylenol with hydrocodone for pain management straight out of the hospital. He was advised to avoid NSAIDs (ibproufin). He only needed his pain meds for a few days

selhard
on 7/27/17 6:00 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

^ same as above ^ Once home, I switched to straight liquid Tylenol with no hydrocodone for fear constipation would put too much strain on healing body parts. Pain levels were tolerable both in the hospital and at home--never over a 5 on the 1-10 scale. Having said that however, I think I have a high pain tolerance with many past surgeries making me like an old dog hard to get much of a reaction out of anything. Pain? What pain?

Writergurl08
on 7/27/17 6:25 am
RNY on 02/15/18

lol I'm the same! I had my gallbladder out a couple years ago. I slept off the anesthesia all day at home, and might have taken one other dose of pain meds. My husband thought I was crazy.

When I have my RNY I'm planning on mixing miralax in my shakes to avoid that initial constipation. Anesthesia slows me down, even if I don't take the hydro...

babsinga
on 7/25/17 2:25 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

I had surgery on July 11th. Yes, the surgeon should be able to give you liquid pain meds , however for my regular meds, my surgeon and I called the pharmacist and rheumatologist to assist in substitutions. I take Plaquenil and found out just today that they should not be crushed. My rheumatologist pulled me off of them for a month until I am able to swallow them.. I also take Cymbalta for pain management due to Lupus/sjogrens. I just found out today they are time release and need to be taken with a spoonful of applesauce rather than drinking water like I have been previously doing. I open the capsules and swallow the pellets. My sleeping pills, I cannot tolerate so I do not take them until I am able to swallow pills.

My vitamins and supplements are all chewable or liquid.

I would definitely do some hard research if you are taking meds that do not have liquid substitutions.

Talk to your surgeon, the pharmacist or the prescribing doctor.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

karenp8
on 7/26/17 5:44 am - Brighton, IL

You need to check with your surgeon as each is different. Like White Dove my surgeon allowed us to swallow small pills right away. Things like my plaque nil I cut in half and took that way as I did with the Tylenol. Check with your surgeons office to be certain though.

ScottAndrews
on 7/25/17 2:32 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

I did the strong stuff on an IV for the first 24 hours and then oral percocet for the next 36-48 hours.

They were supposed to send me home with a scrip for percocet but that got overlooked and I didn't miss it. Painkillers jam up your intestines.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/26/17 6:57 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I was taking pills from the second day out of surgery.

NSAIDs are completely contraindicated after RNY surgery. For life.

I was on IV painkillers the first night, pill form from the second day, and off prescription painkillers by the 4th day. I was back at work at 9 days -- and I couldn't drive until I had 5 clean days -- so that was a large part of my motivation.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?