Worries after 1 week post op.

Jo0710
on 9/12/17 11:38 am

Measure everything and log what you are eating into an app so you can track what all you are putting into your body. I use myfitnesspal and it works. Others use something different but that way you are logging your protein to make sure you are getting everything.

I was different but I was only eating 1/4 cup of ANYTHING at that stage and now I'm still only at 1/2-3/4 of a cup depending on what I'm eating and I'm almost 8 months out.

Follow the guidelines for measurement of foods that your centre gave you (as you are in Ontario correct?) and if you don't have that, please make sure you call your centre for direction as that is what they are there for.

As long as you get your protein in and water you are fine at this stage. You are still healing.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

SkinnyScientist
on 9/12/17 10:46 am

When I was in hospital, having beef broth, I forgot myself and took a big swallow.

I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach and I was uncomfortable for about an hour afterward.

It is good that you are eating slow and taking small bites. Remember you were chopped up/ rearranged/sewed or stapled back together. Things aren't going to be normal for a while. Don't push your stitches. Take your time when eating

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Daisydoo02
on 9/12/17 1:13 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Congrats on your surgery Kingfisher!

Everyone is so different. I can tell you my experience. I felt restriction from day 1. I had a hard time with liquids, soft food, real food, all of it. But having said that I have seen a ton of people on here that never have felt restriction and swear they never had the surgery done other than the scars on their stomachs.

Your nerves are cut during surgery this is why you don't "feel full." And with the RNY surgery you never want to chase that full feeling, you get there and you are in trouble.

Can't stress enough how important it is to measure your food. Right now due to your liquid/soft food stage you are measuring, such as 1/4 cup of soup or cottage cheese. When you move on to solid proteins you will want to weigh it on a food scale and get your 3-4oz of solid dense protein such as chicken, beef, pork.

Right now as long as you are not going past the recommend amount that your Centre has given you then you will not stretch your pouch. It was described to me when I was a new post op that our RNY gastric pouches are shaped like a funnel. Bigger opening at the top and tiny opening at the bottom. This is why its so important to chew chew chew your food so that it passes through the pouch and does not get stuck. This is also why they say to not drink for at minimum of 30 minutes after eating. If you drink with your meals or right after your meals you are just flushing/pushing the food right through the pouch into your intestine and creating essentially more room for more food = more calories = weight gain or a stall. Don't do that.

You may never get the "full" feeling back or it might come back next week, we are all so different only time will tell what happens with you.

I think you are doing all the right things and you got this, keep up the great job, keep asking questions, best of luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

supershopper
on 9/12/17 1:18 pm

Dr told me 1/4 cup max each time- early on I could not get that in even.

Not sure what your plan is also but you may want to rethink the applesauce. it is full of carbs/sugar.

have you tried SF Popsicle, protein shakes etc?

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/17 1:47 pm

yes I'm drinking my protein shakes as well..and the applesause no sugar added version.

SkinnyScientist
on 9/12/17 2:45 pm

Apples have fructose which is a form of carbohydrate. I do believe that apples are low GI but you still might want to rethink the applesauce. However, if your surgeon's plan says to have it...I am not going to argue with a medical professional who pays malpractice insurance.

:)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

babsinga
on 9/12/17 6:54 pm
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

There is only one way to know if you are not overeating. Measure the quantity. I stayed at 2 oz or less for a while. I am one of those people who now that I am 9 weeks, I continue to measure because I have found that I cannot tell when I am full and can eat much more than 1/2 cup of solid protein now if I let myself.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?