Rny tomorrow-Getting Cold Feet Normal?

Rny-Oct-2017
on 10/16/17 6:21 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Ok so tomorrow s the big day for me & the last few days I've found myself, well.. to the point I am having a lot of (excess?) concern & questioning myself on surgery...can this sort of thinking be normal sometimes before a big surgery? I should point out, I've never been in surgery before, never been under general anesthesia before. Im really afraid of something going wrong. Maybe part of it comes from never having had any surgery experience. Nonetheless, wondering if anyone has gone through a similar sort of psychological thought process. Am I feeling a normal sense of fear & anxiety considering the extent of surgery which lay before me?

Ivebeen on this wt loss journey a long time & never questioned having surgery once. Never! So why am I feeling so apprehensive now!? Please share!??

Dcgirl
on 10/16/17 6:25 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

TOTALLY normal! Of course! Who doesn't think surgery is scary - you're definitely not alone. I was totally excited to start losing weight and be healthy so I wasn't afraid of the RNY per se, but I was scared of the surgical part. When I got to the hospital I told them and they gave me a Valium pill I think it was, which sort of mellowed me out. I said I was afraid of throwing up after surgery from being nauseated and I got a patch behind my ear. Right as they are about to wheel you in to the operating room, they put some MAGICAL thing in your IV and I swear, it makes you love the universe. And the next thing you know, 1.5 hours later you will be waking up in recovery :) I was able to get up and pee right away, was texting friends and family that I was ok, and could walk in the hallways. Sip water when they let you, walk slowly, and get ready for a healthy new life! You will do great!

Rny-Oct-2017
on 10/16/17 6:42 am
RNY on 10/17/17

That is very settling to hear!!! Thank you!?? I'm going to ask for something too then!

racemomss
on 10/16/17 6:26 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Congratulations on making the decision to go through it. It is completely normal to have second thoughts. Especially if this is your first surgery. I have had 6 abdominal surgeries and every time I always get nervous and anxious. Don't be afraid to tell your nurses and doctor and the anesthesiologist. There are plenty of meds to help you not be anxious they can give you. Just remember to take it a moment at a time and this is a bump in the road. I am 7 weeks out since mine. Hugs to you and good luck!

Rny-Oct-2017
on 10/16/17 6:45 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Thank you!! That's so comforting! Yes great idea, I will def let everyone whose taking care of me know how anxious I am (in case they can't tell! Lol!!) and wow- you've had a lots of abdominal surgeries! I hope this last one you had is going well!?? How are you feeling now?

racemomss
on 10/16/17 6:50 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I am feeling pretty good. Just still getting back to normal on stamina. If you have any questions or need to vent I am here. This is my second weight loss surgery. I am hoping no more surgeries for me.

Rny-Oct-2017
on 10/16/17 6:54 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Oh thank you! I really appreciate it!?? I'm glad your starting to feel normal energy wise, hats a long time to recuperate but it's a magic abdominal surgery sonit makes sense!

conazza
on 10/16/17 6:32 am
RNY on 09/23/16

Completely normal. I was almost going to have my husband take me home after I arrived at the hospital I was so nervous. Trust me you'll be glad you stayed. I certainly am. I've never regretted it even for a minute.

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

Rny-Oct-2017
on 10/16/17 6:50 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Oh wow! Yeah I've thought about turning around too & going back home, but I know surgery is the right thing to do. Very consoling to know a lot of folks have these feelings! Thank you so much for sharing your experience!??

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/17 7:48 am

Of course!

My experience was great. My surgery was easy. Little discomfort. I was up and walking the first day. Over the next few days I felt better and better. The doctor told me "even though you feel good, you had major surgery. I rearranged your insides). That put it in perspective but I still came through it without major issues. Adjusted to the liquids, then mush, then finely chopped, then chewing and chewing was a test of wills. Then comes the "rules!" NO water for 30 minutes after foods. NO fizzy things. NO sugary things. Limited carbs.

It's a journey! After losing sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, ALL of my joint pain being gone and getting to my goal and then some, I wouldn't trade it for the world!

A whole new world is waiting for you!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?