Excited, Scared and Frustrated!

AViolette
on 10/27/17 7:03 pm
RNY on 12/13/17

I started on my journey to get the RNY in July of this year. My doctor's office contacted my insurance company at the end of May and was told that I was covered for either the sleeve or the bypass. I started the process of getting my 3 dietician appointments in, completed the psych evaluation, attended a support group meeting, got my Endoscopy completed and recently had my pre-op appointment and scheduled my surgery date. My doctor's office contacted the insurance company again to verify I did have coverage and to get the pre-authorization for the surgery.... they are then told that I don't have coverage for the surgery. I'm excited because my surgery is set for Dec 13th and I'm so ready to get passed it and be at the post op part. Scared for the same reason, really. Very frustrated because the insurance company will not take responsibility for giving the doctor's office the incorrect information. Anyone have any issues like this with their insurance?

White Dove
on 10/27/17 7:52 pm - Warren, OH

Find out why you don't have coverage. Does your policy have weight loss surgery as an exclusion or is there some requirement that you do not meet?

Contact the insurance company yourself and find out exactly what is going on. It may be possible to file an appeal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AViolette
on 10/27/17 8:02 pm
RNY on 12/13/17

I have contacted the insurance company... they stated that my policy does not allow it and I have received a copy of my benefit plan today and it specifically excludes bariatric surgery. Right now the insurance broker that our company uses is finding out more about the phone call stating that I was covered. The insurance company told my doctor's office that the call was not recorded, however according to the insurance broker, the insurance company records all calls... so I have to play the waiting game at the moment. I will also start working on the appeal... My biggest issue is that the insurance company told us the wrong information in May and they need to be held responsible for that.

hollykim
on 10/28/17 12:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 28, 2017 at 3:02 AM Pacific Time, AViolette wrote:

I have contacted the insurance company... they stated that my policy does not allow it and I have received a copy of my benefit plan today and it specifically excludes bariatric surgery. Right now the insurance broker that our company uses is finding out more about the phone call stating that I was covered. The insurance company told my doctor's office that the call was not recorded, however according to the insurance broker, the insurance company records all calls... so I have to play the waiting game at the moment. I will also start working on the appeal... My biggest issue is that the insurance company told us the wrong information in May and they need to be held responsible for that.

even if you were given the wrong info to start with, it is unlikely that an appeal will cause the ins company to cover it.

Man exclusion means your employer didn't buy the coverage for its employees. The ins co is not going to cover any thing the the employer hasn't bought coverage for.

Wallenmm
on 10/29/17 5:43 pm - Hammondsport, NY
RNY on 08/09/17

I was in the hotel room, by myself, no car, 2 hours from home, ready for surgery the next morning at 7am. I get a 3pm phone call from the doctors office saying I wasn't approved yet by my insurance!! I was livid! The doc said I had until 11am the next day to get approved, or they would reschedule.

I was on the phone until 6pm that evening, and from 8am to 10am the morning of planned surgery. Finally got it approved.

I was so angry and stressed and happy and mad and.... but I wasn't worried all night about the surgery!

Ugh. Good luck. I know it can be a major hassle.

RNY Aug 9, 2017

Start: 311 pounds.

Pre surgery: -30

M1: -20, M2: -10, M3: -12, M4: -10, M5: -9, M6: -7, M7: - 10, M8: -8, M9: -5, M10: -10, M11: -7, M12:-6, M13: -7

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views