10 days post op... In need of some support

kalkidan62003
on 11/4/17 8:07 am
VSG on 12/26/17

I'm not where you're at but I will be. Im having my surgery the day after Christmas, so no food for me. I guess for me, I've been fat my whole life and I just want to be healthy. Another difference between us is I've been depressed and see a therapist. Per my weightless team, I need to continue to see a therapist. As it was already suggested, you should talk to someone also. And I liked what the other poster said, you'll find new friends. I wish you the absolute best.

Lishamc1
on 11/4/17 8:28 am

Right after surgery I had a lot of the same thoughts run through my head, but you learn to eat again you just need to be strong and and go for the right type of foods. First month I really wondered why I did this to myself, I had no energy I was in pain, everyone eating food that I loved in front of me. But now, I no longer take meds for diabetes or high blood pressure, I feel healthy for the first time in 8 years! I finally feel like a 28 year old not 60 year old. It does get easier!

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

babsinga
on 11/4/17 9:00 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi,

Yes, it is hard the first few months, no doubt. I am almost 4 months out and the first two to three months were really hard. Mostly food intolerances and frustration that I wouldn't ever be able to eat the things I liked so much ever again.

And I was a 3 time revision who will freely admit, that I was not prepared for it at all. My main reason for having the revision was to get rid of GERD and second the weight loss. I lied to myself. Deep down, I want to lose weight again just as much as getting rid of GERD, hernia etc.

I even got into a few arguments with my husband who was eating my favorite cereals in front of me, crackers in bed and a bunch of junk in front of the tv. It bothered me a lot and I felt he was being very unsympathetic. Guess what? Now I make him desserts, cakes cookies and the things he likes but I grab an 80 calorie ff greek yogurt and eat that and feel completely satisfied. Dont really miss the sweets because I found replacements. The thing I miss most is bread. Yes, I miss crackers, bread, cookies etc...but I like being thin more than eating those foods.

Eventually you do get to eat a wide variety of foods The bigger challenge is there will come a day where you can eat everything but you will have to make a conscious decision to avoid the things that got you fat in the first place. If any of us could have eaten in moderation, we wouldn't need surgery right? My experience in 15 years of weight loss management is every time I think that I have the carb monster under control, I really don't. Don't get me wrong. I have eaten popcorn at the movie theatre since surgery, ate a few spoonfuls of rice here and there, a bite of macaroni already, but for the most part to keep the weight off or lose, I have to eat right 95% of the time and exercise.

For example, I eat a cheeseburger without the bun, some veggies and feel perfectly satisfied. I eat a cup of chili homemade with some cheese and feel full. You will learn to adapt and find new foods that make you happy instead of a bowl of pasta or butter laden bread or a piece of chocolate. You will be able to have the occasional treat. You will be able to eat at family gatherings by sticking to the healthy choices of meat and veggies. This thanksgiving, I will be making a turkey, green beans sweet potatoes, califlower mashed potatoes and a sugar free dessert so I can have a couple bites. If others want to indulge, they can bring it to dinner with them.

Right now your hormones and body are all out of whack. It will get better, trust me. Hang in there!! You have a huge community of people here who have gone through the same thing you have and will help you through this.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Kathyjs
on 11/6/17 6:22 am

Why I push pre op counseling . Please seek help now.

Emiepie
on 11/6/17 6:46 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Morning! I hope you're already feeling a little better. I just wanted to say it's great that you are reaching out for support. Right now I am sure it feels like this new lifestyle is your job-it felt like that for me- but soon it will all kind of become routine. I think it's important to mention that you are still recovering from major surgery and like you mentioned your #1 coping mechanism was taken but hang in there, it will get better. For now focus on staying hydrated and walking when you can. Stay strong!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

minaque2
on 11/6/17 7:46 am

you are not alone. You need to stand up to your family and nip that "I told you so" crap. Tell them what you are feeling is normal and it's not easy but that you are committed and just need non judgmental support from them. Also, it's not easy for them either. I am sure they are going through their own stuff with this huge change. You can help them by telling them exactly what you need.

It is very emotional and scary. You are grieving. It will get easier but I don't think it will ever be easy. That is what I am learning. Please stay open and HONEST about how you are feeling and what you are doing and definitely speak to a professional. I have 2 therapists I work with. I couldn't do it without them and without the help of this community.

Most Active