To carb or not to carb...

aesposito
on 4/23/18 5:28 am

When you say you avoid any version of sugar, do you realize that sugar from fruits and vegetables are still sugar?

It is easy to say two years out that you can eat fruits, veggies, potatoes, oats, rice and pasta and lose weight, when you are at the tail end of the malabsorption phase. Come back in five more years and tell us that again. I will bet your steel cut oats you won't be able to.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Jester
on 4/23/18 6:28 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Yes, of course. My mistake, I should have specified REFINED sugars.

Ill take that bet. Whole foods, plant based eaters are not known to be prone to obesity.

babsinga
on 4/22/18 7:54 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi and Ditto on what everyone else said. I do eat some limited carbs now that I am almost at goal but they are all healthy carbs such as beans, lentils, salad carbs, veggie carbs. Occasionally I have a low carb tortilla or wrap that is high in fiber.

Whatever they say is a serving, I eat half of that . But you really don't need carbs at all during ongoing weight loss.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

sweetpotato1959
on 4/23/18 10:07 pm

I am 23 years post gastric by pass. My orig. rx. or my diet was 90 grams protein and 60 grams or less carbs daily. Carbs are important in diet. My surgeon ordered us to have meat, carbs and then fruit and veggies in that order when we had a 2 ounce pouch.. he said we were getting the MVI for vitamins, meat and carbs were most important... a small amount of carbs triggers insulin and hormone release TO digest proteins...according to NURSING TEXTbook by MOSBY. That said, The sauces you are making MAY include enough carbs to be the catalist for digestion for YOU.

If you are content with your diet as it is... ie you are having good weight loss, your energy level is normal and as you loose weight it should increase..especially afte 8-12 weeks out from surgery... and you are able to eat your prescribed diet, I would not mess with what is working.

.If you have any food that you know makes cravings for you, I would definitely avoid those. Keeping a diet diary will contiue to be important , for as you add foods you may have issues that arise that are diet related. A Diet diary can help you track down the offender. Be sure to keep a copy of your prescribed diet, and any modifications to it your surgeon authorizes. It will be important many years in the future.

I still limit traditional (ex.thanksgiving) foods like sweetpotatoes,dressing and cranberry sauce, fruit salad.... The rule of thumb...I use is no more than 1/3 of my food consumed can be those foods combined. I also avoid the confections on top of a sweet potato dish and just get the potato from underneath.. usually a taste of everything I am going to try... ( a teaspoon -level).. so I eat in proportion 2/3 meats and 1/3 all other foods. My pouch still has a 6 oz limit. so 3- 4 oz meats and 2 oz( or less) all else. is one meal. using theses strategies will help you overcome food challenges... as you get into your maintainence phase.

Most Active
Recent Topics