I am fat

Weighting2Bskinny
on 6/10/18 3:34 pm
I have gained more than half of my weight back from gastric bypass in 2012. I am desperate to lose weight again. Tomorrow I’m doing a pouch reset. It’s where I do a 10 day diet. With liquids and sugar free jello and stuff. I’m starting it tomorrow. I heard it doesn’t work but I’m gonna give it a try. Anyone else ever tried this?

GOD BLESS YOU            
Cathy H.
on 6/10/18 5:29 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

There was just an article posted on OH 2 days ago about this very topic.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/does-a-bariatric-surgery -stomach-reset-work-to-lose-regain

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

seattledeb
on 6/10/18 6:15 pm

You will not lose weight at the rate you did after surgery.

It will take probably a year to lose it. It will take mindfullness,support,and a big change in what you are eating.

There is no reset. There is detox from carbs (a *****), choosing to eat a protein forward diet, not drinking with your meals, and finding a way to increase movement in your life.

It's not magic and it's not easy. It's doable though.

seattledeb
on 6/10/18 6:16 pm

Also...how you doing with taking your vitamins and minerals?

Haley_Martinez
on 6/10/18 7:57 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

Perhaps I'm mistaken (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) but the reason people say that a pouch reset doesn't work is because you aren't on a 10 day liquid diet for pouch size or anything like that after surgery, you are just on the diet because you have stitches in your stomach and you need to just drink liquids for a while so you don't damage your incision. Also, because people who have had surgery a while ago don't have any healing incision, drinking the liquid diet serves no purpose. What does help with getting pouch restriction back is making sure you're drinking lots of water (at least 64 oz a day but some people do 100 oz), eating several small meals, and eating dense protein (like chicken) first, followed by low carb vegetables.

I wish you the best and really hope you're able to lose the regain, but don't get discouraged if you start the liquid diet and can't follow trough with it...it isn't meant for anyone as far out as you (or I actually). If the pouch reset doesn't work, try what I and other have advised and maybe you'll have better luck.

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

jenorama
on 6/10/18 8:18 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

The pouch reset is the same crash-diet mentality that got us all to obesity in the first place. People think that their pouch has stretched or they need to reset their metabolism which is all garbage. You are exactly right with the dense protein first, non-starchy veg and plenty of fluids throughout the day.

WLS is a lifelong tool, but it still needs to be used properly. Some people get it, some people don't.

Jen

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/11/18 7:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you really want to do a mental reset, don't waste your time with the "pouch test" and all liquids. Go back to basics and make yourself REALLY stick with it for a week or two.

I wrote the "five day meat test" as a bit of a joke, because the pouch test is so awful, but I've heard from a lot of people that it really is helpful!

www.fivedaymeattest.com

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/11/18 8:58 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I gotta tell ya as someone who is currently doing a forced liquid diet (stomach problems) you don't really reset anything physically.

Maybe mentally it puts your head in the game, but physically your pouch really doesn't reset. If anything it might help to do a carb detox. I'm talking about the sugary refined carbs kinda detox. Weight loss is really mostly water weight & while it's kinda a thrill to see the scale move downwards it's only temporary. Also your energy level might go down while on all liquids & jello/stuff.

Take a closer look at why you regained the weight & tackle those problems, otherwise you'll be reseting, multiple times, for life.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sweetpotato1959
on 6/15/18 10:07 pm

THRB,

Sorry to hear you are having stomach problems.

I have been having repeated episodes of gastritis and it is no fun.It takes my appetite and sometimes am nauseated. Here is how I have learned to handle it., so it has the least impact on my life. This is pretty much how Crone's Disease is handled as well.

The liquid diet will cut a lot of nutrition , it is really hard for me to get portein in since i am not generally using a protein shake.( I can't use soy, milk based-orwhey, green pea organic)...my method for handling it has become.. I drin**** and ice water, for at least 10 hours then I add white rice.

....the first day my total intake is one cup of cooked rice and ice water...my amount of restriction is still low/especially when there is edema inside.I start with 2 ounces of cooked rice, and have it at intervals thru the day..

Day two. If my edema is decreased, (stool normal), I will progress to 1-2 oz rice and 2 soft poached/scrambled,( no oil) plain, eggs I do add meat tenderizer to the eggs that is bromelin based for enzymes.( No MSG/"Spice" ingredient) mccormicks is one brand I can use. Eggs digest easy for me and I like them, so they are a primary protein. I usually have a late lunch and it will be dependent on any increase in gas/distress. If in distress I have rice and egg... or just rice, depending on nausea presence..if nausea and i can get a little rice in i eat it..

. By pm meal I will usually be ok to have some homemade (heavy on the) chicken vegetable soup (2 oz chicken one oz veg.. less than one oz liquid) and 3 or 4 saltines.

I avoid high acid foods for at least a week.I have an OTC, Prevacid, I take at Rx'd strength.It works faster than any other PPI for me.

If i do not toerate night soup well I stick with rice and eggs with bromelin tenderizer...until I do tolerate dense protein

If all is ok and no excessive gas, nausea or other distress,I go back to my 90 gram protein and less than 50 grams carbs on day 3.

Hope this will help you or someone else when dealing with stomach issues.

Amy R.
on 6/11/18 9:44 am

I answered you in your first post and gave you the Meat Test link. I'm with mostly everyone else: that Five Day Pouch Test is a crock and a waste of time. Sooner or later you're going to face learning how to eat every day for the long term. Before that you're going to need to know how to eat to get the regain off. Why not start right now?

People THINK the 5DPT works because when you restrict your calories like that all of a sudden a bunch of water weight comes off. It has nothing to do with the Pouch Test itself - it's all about the calories.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 498 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 106 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?