Don't know what to do!

emily_jordan88
on 2/6/10 12:43 am - York, SC
Hi, my name is Emily...I'm new on here. First let me tell you a little about myself. I am 21 years old, and just recently moved back in with my mother after losing my job. That's not why I am here, I am here because I am 21 years old, 5 ft. 6 in, and I weigh 305lbs. I have a family history of heart disease (My father died of a massive heart attack at the age of 42.) Also high blood pressure and cancer. When I was 15 years old, my gynocologist diagnosed me polycystic ovarian syndrome, and my family doctor at the time told me my problem was depression and put me on depression medication. The same family doctor had tried to help me lose weight, and when nothing worked, my mother and I wanted to know more about weight loss surgery and he would have none of it. He said he would absolutley never give me a referral, even if a surgeon happened to accept me as a patient. Now, I am no longer allowed to be carried under my mother's insurance because I am over 18, and am not in high school. I'm scared to death that I'm going to end up like my Dad and have a heart attack at an early age and so sick of not being able to do the simplest things like shave my legs without a struggle. And I don't want to be a charity case, but my BMI is 49 and I have no health insurance, and with the way the economy is, I don't have a job either (trying as hard as I can to find one) Any advice on some sort of clinic or a doctor that might be able to help would be greatly appreciated.
tee_lee
on 4/17/10 5:44 am - Columbia, SC
Sorry, I'm not really able to give you any help. However, maybe if you went to school your Mother's insurance would carry you again?
Our sons were covered by our insurance longer because they were in school. Look into community colleges in your area. See if you can get a grant.
It'll kill two birds with one stone... you'll get training in a field where you may be able to get a job and your mom can cover you again.
Good luck!!
Mary T.
on 4/21/10 1:33 pm - Conway, SC
Hello! Why don't you try and see if you can be approved for medicaid.
That would solve alot of your problems. Listen, hang in there. I know how you feel. I have been over weight most of my life. Ihave 2 children that are in their 20's. I made up my mind that I maybe 53 but its not too late to make some changes in my life. I have several health problems too:diabetes,high blood pressure,COPD,sleep apnea,claudication,neuropathy in my legs,rheumatoid arthritis. Why don't you just call and see if you would qualify? It would be worth the call! I hope that I helped some. If not, know that being diagnosed with depression isn't the end of the world. I have been on depression meds. for 20 yrs. It really isn't a bad thing. Lots of Luck and let me know how it goes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Charleston MUSC patients
MsRadar65 · 0 replies · 299 views
Overstitch Surgeon?
Pamela G. · 1 replies · 3035 views
Greenville sc
ebonymc · 0 replies · 3947 views
Union,SC
Tracy6035 · 0 replies · 4285 views