SC Medicaid...Gastric Bypass...Approval?

sqerlygirl
on 2/13/10 3:11 pm
Just wondering if the 6 month medically supervised diet is required?

I have a BMI of 41 with a co-morbidity...also an extensive documented record of past weight loss attempts, physician visits over the last 2 years, attended TOPS meetings for 3 years, etc... Do you think this will qualify me ?

I called Medicaid...the rep says the 6 months of consecutive visits is not required but she sounded like she didn't know what she was talking about :)

TIA!

Tanzy_99
on 2/15/10 3:00 pm - charleston, SC
hey i knw the feelin medicaid is makin me do the 6 month supervised diet as well  i have 2 months more of it. my doctor said he dnt understand y they makin me do it bc im not goin to loose much  weight and i tried to in the past but it was no way around it for me. but i want to know what if u dnt loose a lot of weight on the supervised diet will they deny  me? or what if u loose alot would medicaid think u dnt need the surgery ? those r the two questions i would love to knw
trisha13
on 2/20/10 9:34 am - Spartanburg, SC
hey i feel where you are coming from about the 6 month supervised diet.  I also have 2 more months to go.  I have Cigna and medicaid for insurance.  They both require a 6 month supervised diet.  The good thing about having two insurances is medicaid pays my co-payments.  They also pay the difference of what Cigna do not cover.  I only have to pay  my $300 deductable and then they pay 80% and what's remaining medicaid will cover.  I also had my psyc. eval. done on 2/12/2010 and neither cigna nor medicaid covered it.  It wasn't that much $230.  If  I didn't mention I'm from Spartanburg, SC.  I chose Dr. Rowitz  out of Anderson,SC instead of Dr. Ross in Spartanburg,SC because I felt Dr. Rowitz seminars on the RNY and LapBand was detail about the ups and downs of the surgeries.
tonyeagwa
on 1/25/12 10:36 pm - Summerville, SC
Hello, I live in the Charleston area and I would like to know what doctor you go to?
stefBW
on 3/14/12 6:26 am - SC
 Hey I go to Dr.Mcdevitt his office is in Summerville.It's Coastal Carolina Bariatric Center the office is in back of the hospital number is 843-875-8994. Good luck 
gingersnap1
on 4/18/12 11:38 pm - SC
I recommend Dr. Byrnes at MUSC. They have a really good program and sate of the art of facility.
CARROLL H.
on 2/18/10 5:12 am - Biloxi, MS
I have SC Medicaid.. I did the 6 month diet, after that it was SUPER FAST! Medicaid appoved me 1 week to the day that the dr submitted my letter. HANG IN THERE.. I am 3 months out now.. everything is on my blog if you wanna go read it. I was very impressed with medicaid, the hardest part was waiting the 6 months.
hrtangel.jpg picture by carrollcharrison Height 5'7  HW:335# SW:320# my GOAL:130# 

L. Matteson
on 3/14/12 9:00 am
RNY on 07/02/12
ACTUALLY, with the SC medicaid health plans, there is ONE healthplan that does not require the 6 month diet, and you can switch to it. IT is BLUECHOICE, this is the BEST one for the surgery, so if you have medicaid, make sure you have bluechoice!
I had Absolute total care and I switched to Bluechoice so I wouldn't have to do the 6 month thing!

jackie1979
on 4/8/12 11:24 pm - SC
RNY on 09/12/12
Hi Liza! Im a new member and wanted to ask a question. I was very interested in this post because I just got my medicaid app approved and the whole point of getting it was the surgery. I am going to ask for Blue Choice but what are the other requirements that you have been given, since you dont have to wait? Do you have to attend classes? Any help you have would be grateful!! Thanks!
Tana86
on 3/2/13 11:53 am

HELLO IM PLANING HAVE GASTRIC BYPASS I WANTED TO KNOW WIT BLUE CHOICE HOW LONG DID IT TAKE THEM TO APPROVE U? DO THEY MAKE YOU DO DA 6 MONTHS THING R JUST 3 MONTHS

Most Active
Recent Topics
Charleston MUSC patients
MsRadar65 · 0 replies · 297 views
Overstitch Surgeon?
Pamela G. · 1 replies · 3031 views
Greenville sc
ebonymc · 0 replies · 3942 views
Union,SC
Tracy6035 · 0 replies · 4280 views