Medicare payment issues

TonjaW01
on 3/29/10 7:36 am - Westminster, SC
I have a surgery date for 4/26/10 with Dr. Rowitz and only like my psch. eval. to be completely ready. Then the Dr. office calls out of the blue and says Medicare has changed and now I have to have 6mths of supervised dieting in the last 18 mths; can I get this info to them asap. I called Medicare and they say they only require a past history of failed diet attempts with no specific time frame mentioned. Although my other Drs. have counseled me on my weight and I've done the prescribed med to lose weight. Has anyone filed and had Medicare pay recently? Has anyone else come against an issue like this?
blueaprildew
on 4/15/10 4:38 am - Greer, SC
Please get back to me ASAP because now I am concerned I went to Dr Rowitz yesterday and they were telling me all along that I could have my surgery as soon as April and then they called and told me that they had to change it because I had to have 6 months of dieting history also. Whats going on?
TonjaW01
on 4/18/10 11:20 pm - Westminster, SC
UPDATE..... I hate to be the bearer of bad news blueaprildew buts it looks like that is the new change. I made numerous phone calls to get to the bottom of the issue and learn it's a SC addition to the requirements for surgery. Due to the fact that so many of this type of surgery is being performed they are now reviewing most all cases and have said they are not seeing enough evidence of past attempts. So they sent out letters in Jan. saying other insurance companies have this guideline as 6-12 mths of previous supervised attempts and they feel that is a fair and appropriate standard. It also has to be within the last 18 mths to qualify. That's where I ran into a prob. because mine was outside that time frame. I started my 6mths last week with my family phys. and am now looking at late Sept. maybe Oct. according to scheduling. Medicare has no preapproval so Dr. Rowitz office has to make sure all guidelines are met or they can refuse the claim. I was heartbroken as my surgery date was April 26 but I am continuing forward and it's still gonna happen at least!!! 
blueaprildew
on 4/19/10 4:06 am - Greer, SC
Thank you so much for the feedback and I am so very sorry to hear that about your situation. I felt heartbroken as well! I am starting on the 6 months history now as well because mine fell out of that time frame. Good luck to you!!
TonjaW01
on 4/22/10 11:14 pm - Westminster, SC
Sorry to hear you've got to start over too!! Well, not really all over but it sure feels like it doesn't it. One thing Dr. Rowitz office pointed out was to make sure it's 6 calendar mths. My doctor is doing weigh in every 4 weeks which would have made 1 mth. have two weigh ins. Ann said that second time in one mth would not count. So beware, I don't know about you but I want to make sure everything is perfect. I am so ready to see some major weight changes not just a pound or two here and there. If you've start this month too, our surgery dates will probably be close to each other. Keep in touch we really don't live that far from each other, maybe will see each other at a support group sometime.
Mary T.
on 4/21/10 1:19 pm - Conway, SC
I was disappointed about Medicare's change also. I am going to MUSC to do their Preop diet. I have to drive 2 hrs. to get there and I have to go about every other week. With their program you see Dr. ,nutritionist,psych.So, I can't wait for this to hurry up and get over with. I am ready to have my surgery. The Doc. here in Conway, that does the
surgery no longer accepts medicade or medicare. That was a major blow to me. But, hopefully, this time will go by fast. Please keep me informed about how ya'll are getting along.
TonjaW01
on 4/22/10 11:04 pm - Westminster, SC
Mary T. so sorry to hear about your ordeal. Dr. Rowitz office requires the nutritionist, psych. eval. also but it's a one time thing. My family phys. is doing my 6 mths. supervised so that make it a little easier. She only requires a weigh in every 4 weeks. Dr. Rowitz's office pointed out that sometimes that would be 2 weigh in's in a calendar month and that would not count as one of the six months. Basically saying it has to be 6 calendar mths to qualify. Pray things go well for you and I praying for a new date sometime in Sept. Keep in touch!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Charleston MUSC patients
MsRadar65 · 0 replies · 299 views
Overstitch Surgeon?
Pamela G. · 1 replies · 3035 views
Greenville sc
ebonymc · 0 replies · 3947 views
Union,SC
Tracy6035 · 0 replies · 4285 views