BCBS Florida & South Carolina Help!

tweentyone
on 11/5/12 7:07 pm

I am fairly new to the lapband journey. I have me with my surgeron and he agrees that I am a good canidate I just need to wait for approval from insurance. This is where things get fuzzy. I am covered under my husband's insurance, which is blue cross blue shield. We live in Georgia, but his company is based out of Jacksonville, Florida, so our insurance card states BCBS of Florida. When I was doing all of my preliminary reserach I did all of it based on BCBS Fl which has just dropped their 6 month wait. This would mean that since I meet all other requirements I would be ready to submit my claim to insurance, but when the financial dept. at my surgeon's office spoke to my insurance company they said that technically I am under BCBS or South Carolina (who of course still require 6 month diet)! Has anyone come into this problem before. I am confused about South Carolina coverage and any help would be appreciated. Also when I looked into South Carolina's coverage their policy on bariatric surgery was up for review in Oct 2012, does this mean they could make changes to the policy to drop the 6 month diet? This is what Florida did recently. They review their policy and on Sept 12 dropped the diet restriction.

Cindyinsc
on 2/17/13 3:39 am - SC
I have bcbs of sc and they will not cover it. I asked them if they even offered a policy that covered it and they said no. So I'm going to Mexico and paying for it myself. Lots cheaper than here in states and doctors seem more experienced.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Charleston MUSC patients
MsRadar65 · 0 replies · 298 views
Overstitch Surgeon?
Pamela G. · 1 replies · 3032 views
Greenville sc
ebonymc · 0 replies · 3943 views
Union,SC
Tracy6035 · 0 replies · 4281 views