Hi fellow Norfolk-ians

Marriott L.
on 7/27/11 2:17 am - San Diego, CA
Hi..just wanted to touch base with my fellow Virginians! I had the VSG done at Portmouth Naval Medical Center back in January of this year and am down 51 lbs. My BMI has gone from 50.3 to 41.8 and I am so stoked! I mainly post on the VSG forum..but just found that I could stay local!!!

Check out my profile to find a little about mui..and dont hesitate to contact me! I'd love to meet people locally!

Surgery Date: Jan 26th, 2011           Sleever for Life! HA

richarddavis196
on 9/13/11 7:33 am - VA
That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Amy D.
on 10/26/11 11:37 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Hey there! I'm just starting the journey, but I'm excited to get things rolling.

Good job on the weight loss!

I'm in Chesapeake, so we're practically neighbors!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Marriott L.
on 10/26/11 10:41 pm - San Diego, CA
Yeah that post was a couple of months ago. Im down to 246 now...from 312...just keep trucking on. What are you considering having done? Awesome exciting time for you!! Let me know if you have any questions about My VSG and what I'VE learned!

Surgery Date: Jan 26th, 2011           Sleever for Life! HA

Amy D.
on 10/27/11 4:46 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
I'm an idiot, lol! I didn't pay attention to the date. But sounds like you are doing great! It looks like I'll be going with the RNY, altho if I don't get my iron up, I might not have anything. Seems like I read somewhere, tho, that the VSG doesn't have quite the vitamin and mineral malabsorption issues that the RNY has. Maybe that's what the surgeon meant when he said we'd have to look at "other options" if my iron stays low. Right now, I'm just trying to diet and lose some weight before surgery. I have to do a 3 month diet for insurance purposes. It's hard, but I feel good knowing that I'm working toward a goal.

It's good to "meet" you!

richarddavis196
on 10/27/11 5:56 am - VA
Dr Fontana and his staff are AWESOME!!!!!!! I had RNY on 10/11/2011 and am doing way better than expected. I am going to a support group tonight and then a half day at work tomorrow.

I researched the different procedures and settled on RNY because of the long term results and requires the most discipline. I did a 3 month diet thing with Fran and it was no wories except being out of pocket. The staff will provide you a lot of info and discuss it with you to help YOU decide what is best for you.

Loving Norfolk and being on the losers bench. I'll save you a seat, lol.

Amy D.
on 11/1/11 11:45 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Yeah, I'm really loving Dr. Fontana and his staff--everyone has been so nice and helpful. I love Fran too, and the whole diet thing isn't going too badly.

After a couple of conversations with a few medical professionals, I've also settled on the RNY for sure. I was having some worries (it is a big decision, afterall) but I'm confident in my choice.

Thanks for your encouragement and I look forward to joining you on that loser's bench!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 869 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2194 views