BCBS of Illinois

mwall81
on 4/4/11 7:16 am - MI
 Just wondering if any one has BCBS of Illinois.  Most people I've talked to say tha BCBS is one of the better ones to have, but m insurance says they won't pay for bariatric surgery.  Any one able to help?

Thanks!!
Live like your dieing, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one is watching.

DragonGirl
on 4/4/11 7:40 am - MN
I have BC/BS of Illinois. We live in Minnesota, but my Husband's company is based in Chicago. I didn't have any trouble getting approval. They denied me at first for missing information, but as soon as I heard, my surgeon sent everything again, including my diary of appointments and I got approved 3 days later.

Are they telling you why they won't pay? Do you meet all the requirements? Is your BMI high enough?

It could also be the type of plan you have.

Best of luck and don't give up!!
Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Eileen36
on 4/4/11 8:54 am - PA
Is it that your (or your husband's) company opted out of bariatric surgery coverage? If so, than it doesn't matter what BCBSIL will or will not cover. Otherwise, as long as you have a BMI of 40 or 35 with co-morbidities, you should be covered. There are a few hoops to jump through, but nothing too difficult.  Contact the HR rep for your (or your husband's) policy. They should be able to clear it up.
Good luck.
Eileen

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 6/8/12!! - LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift & Medial Thigh Lift             
didim62
on 4/4/11 9:03 am, edited 4/4/11 9:03 am - Kensington, CT
It must be as Eileen said. I have BCBS ILL and I was covered. Good Luck!!
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
Susan M.
on 4/4/11 9:48 am
I was covered with BCBS IL. 

mwall81
on 4/4/11 11:08 am - MI
 My problem is is that while I have the high BMI (41.3) I have none of the comorbidities.  I don't have high blood pressure, nor diabetes.  But my insurance plan will only cover it if I have one of the comorbidities :(  Its depressing.  They should cover depression as one of the comorbidities.  It just sucks that they won't cover it, but it doesn't matter, I've decided I'm going to go to Mexico and have it done and self pay instead.  Thanks for all the answers though!
Live like your dieing, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one is watching.

amanda D.
on 4/4/11 1:50 pm - Stayton, OR
i also have BCBS of ill.  and i called them last week to find out what was needed and what not.  All they told me was bmi greater than 39, and i have to have my doctor(s) submit a letter for some kind of pre-determination.  The first time is "usually" always denied for lack of medical records, the doctor resubmitts and it is approved.

I suggest just going with it, see what happens.  The worst that can happen is they say no, you appeal and see what happens.  If all else fails you already have a back up plan.

Best of luck to you

Amanda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views