calling out all sleeved men

DJNICKL
on 4/14/11 9:19 am
i wanted to see how easy or hard POST PO recovery was for the guys
seems women have a easier time then men

my surgey is on tuesday and its all i think about all day , hows its going to effect my life
and if its the right move ....

vsg date 4-19-11 tuesday

h 5,6

weight 245

age 30

gw 150
melablic syndrome

heardb
on 4/14/11 9:50 am - GA
Dude "Recovery" was mile stone for other reasons, once I made it out of there I was good, I walked the same day and every 2-4 hours afterwards........You'll be fine. Another challenge for me was signing all those papers that said "you could die" pre-op.....Congrats you'll be fine......
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 9:52 am - CA
I'm getting sleeved tomorrow so I can't really say yet, but I have a hard time believing that men have a harder recovery than women.  I plan to jump right out of bed after surgery and run a mile!
jbskaggs
on 4/14/11 10:20 am - holt, MO
 My only prob really was I tore open my incisions at Wal Mart.

JB

Marcus M.
on 4/14/11 10:21 am - TX
Any pain you have is worth it dont worry about it. Make sure you get your meds every 4 hours and get up and walk every 2-3 hours. Good luck

01/18/11 Pre-op: 411   01/31/11 Surgery: 396 

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 10:28 am
 That's cuz we're big babies, ladies are built stronger than we are (motherhood, other bio issues we don't have).

I don't regret my decision a bit, it has been an awesome ride, wouldn't hesitate to do it, just hate I waited this long to do it (32).  

Immediately post op there will be pain around the incisions, you will need the painkillers and any supplemental liquid/tablets the first day to get up and move around.  Each day gets a little easier as you heal, it took me about 2 weeks to sleep on my stomach/side with absolutely no discomfort.

Longer term, it will change your diet if you work it right.  It feels very funny going somewhere and ordering only an appetizer or heating up a portion of food that wouldn't satisfy a 2 year old, but if that's an issue I say "F" what others have to say/think.  The liquid/mushy diet part sucks, but those mashed potatoes were great after being on liquid for 4 total weeks.  

I rarely get hungry, I do get weak and dizzy if I haven't eaten enough, especially if I physically exert myself.  You will have to work hard to stay hydrated.

Now the fun part.  You will lose a **** load of weight fast if you work it right.  You will feel better every day.  You will be able to buy smaller and smaller clothes.  Any chronic health problems you may have will either go away or dimish.   You will feel better every day...oh...did I say that already?  That's the best part of how it changed my life.
Jasonm11
on 4/14/11 10:43 am
Pain killers for a few days and you'll be fine as long as you don't sneeze...that starts the incision pain over again lol...

I had surgery Wednesday and returned to work the next monday. Minimal pain all along....nothing I wouldn't do again...read my blog as I posted almost daily for the first week...would give you a good idea of that first week
johnbertak
on 4/14/11 11:43 am - MD
Well, I've done fantastic since the surgery as you can see by my total weight loss - 115 lbs. @ under 5 mos. post-op.  I basically walk and work my ass off to work my ass off - daily committment is what it takes for me.
About post-op, I wish someone had told me in advance about gas pains - my surgery was the day before Thanksgiving and I woke up thinking the catheter in my junk and drain tube in my gut were tethers so they could guide my inflated ass down the Macy's Thanksgiving parade route.  I prayed for a fart - but was scared if I let it rip I would fly around the room like a deflating baloon.  OK, it wasn't that bad - just took a lot of very slow walking, pushing that damned IV thingie.  And every few hours....ka-boom!  And a big sigh of relief.  And then there's the morphine - ahaaaaa!
Don't mean to scare you - just prepare you - and from what I've read, few people have as much gas left in them as I did.  
FYI - it was all worth in a hundred times - no make that 115 times - over.  Lost the weight, lost sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure and what wifey calls "general grouchiness."  I am a happy 65-year-old, getting healthier by the day.  Best of luck to you - YOU WILL DO FINE.
Pop-Pop 

MikeyMike
on 4/14/11 11:47 am - New York, NY
No pain...and no gain!!!

My recovery was incredible. I didn't have to take any pain meds after surgery. My only issue was I was real groggy. Took a while for the Happy Juice to wear off. I almost busted my butt when they first tried to get me up to walk.

Other than that no issues.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

frisco
on 4/14/11 12:17 pm

30 years old....245lbs.....5'6''

Should be a breeze !!!

That said....it really depends on your surgeons "hands"

How is it going to effect your life???

You get out of it....what you put into it....it's not automatic....you gotta do your part !!!!

Lemme put it this way..... I'm in 31'' Levis !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 83 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op