lap test show medabalic syndrome

DJNICKL
on 4/13/11 12:15 pm
can any one help me undersyand what that means ,,,, cus i already know that i am fat ..
also i started a boxing class ,so fun ,but i notice my right foot goes NUMB ,when i would work out hard .
has this happen to any one here ,,, already put in a call to the doc

vsg date   4-19-11   h 5,6  30years old  wieght 245 ,, gw 150
jbskaggs
on 4/13/11 12:25 pm - holt, MO
Good for you to start a boxing class- I like to box.

Might be a piched nerve, or poor circulation especially if you have been just sitting around and not exercising.  Talk to your doc.

Also research Tai Chi- the exercises are helpful for me (I have bad legs) they reduce swelling, helped recover from sciatic nerve, and improves balance and circulation.

Last part check your shoes- some times one foot may be just a little bigger (water retention etc) and go to sleep during exercise.

JB

MELMEL308
on 4/13/11 12:28 pm - PA
Since i started this wls journey, i too was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome...you can learn alot by just googling it but what i read was that you have a cluster of comorbities that can cause in the future cardiavascular problems... also that you are genetically pre disposed to these problems and that even with surgery, you may wind up with meds for the rest of your life to keep under control...my doctor said that it is a good thing to have the surgery because with all of the problems i have, i could have a massive stroke at a very young age.. I am 29..
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
MediumSoon
on 4/13/11 12:41 pm - TX
Not trying to be debbie downer here - but is it a little early for boxing class?? Just make sure you're not overdoing it - you're pretty early out...

LunaLovegood
on 4/13/11 1:21 pm - WA

Metabolic syndrome

Insulin resistance syndrome; Syndrome X

Metabolic syndrome is a name for a group of risk factors that occur together and increase the risk for coronary artery diseasestroke, and type 2 diabetes.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Metabolic syndrome is associated with many conditions and risk factors. The two most important risk factors are:

• Extra weight around the middle of the body (central obesity). The body may be described as "apple-shaped."

• Insulin resistance, in which the body cannot use insulin effectively. Insulin is needed to help control the amount of sugar in the body.

Insulin helps blood sugar (glucose) enter cells. If you have insulin resistance, your body doesn't respond to insulin, and blood sugar cannot get into cells. As a result, the body produces more and more insulin. Insulin and blood sugar levels rise, affecting kidney function and raising the level of blood fats, such as triglycerides.

Signs and tests

According to the American Heart Association and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, metabolic syndrome is present if you have three or more of the following signs:

• Blood pressure equal to or higher than 130/85 mmHg

• Fasting blood sugar (glucose) equal to or higher than 100 mg/dL

• Large waist circumference (length around the waist):

• Men - 40 inches or more

• Women - 35 inches or more

• Low HDL cholesterol:

• Men - under 40 mg/dL

• Women - under 50 mg/dL

• Triglycerides equal to or higher than 150 mg/dL

Treatment

The goal of treatment is to reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes. Your doctor will recommend lifestyle changes or medicines to help reduce your blood pressure, LDL cholesterol, and blood sugar.

Recommendations include:

• Lose weight. The initial goal is to lose between 7 and 10% of your current weight. This generally means that you need to eat 500 - 1,000 fewer calories per day.

• Get 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise, such as walking, 5 - 7 days per week.

• Lower your cholesterol using weight loss, exercise, and cholesterol lowering medications, if needed.

• Lower your blood pressure using weight loss, exercise, and medications, if needed.

Some people may need daily low-dose aspirin.

People who smoke should quit.

Expectations (prognosis)
People with metabolic syndrome have an increased long-term risk for developing cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.

Complications
Atherosclerosis, Diabetes, Heart attackKidney disease, Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, Peripheral artery disease, Stroke

Weight: Highest 317, Consult 311, Surgery 292, Current 210.8
Weight lost by month: 22, 13, 11, 8, 6, 5, 5, 6, 3, 0, next update 12/5.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 82 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views