Pop-Pop @ 5 mos. post-op & 120 lbs. down; long reflection

johnbertak
on 4/22/11 7:37 am - MD
I'm home from a visit to my PCP - he's greatly impressed with my progress, down
120 lbs. at 5 mos. post-op.  He took me off the last BP med, it was a micro-dose.
Here's how this happened:
One year ago my PCP said I was one of the "healthiest fat guys" (okay, he said "overweight") that he knew, but that my good health probably wasn't going to last much longer b/c I also had increasingly unhealthy co-morbidities - diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and increasing lethargy.  He had recently been to a seminar and had re-evaluated his position on WLS for patients like me - perhaps I should consider it.  I did.  Wifey and I attended WLS seminars, heard the options and were intrigued by VSG.   I even discovered a member of wifey's church who had lost 155 lbs. w/ WLS and was willing to discuss the process, the surgeon, the whole bloody (whoa, wrong adj.) deal.  Decision - go for it as the best option to deal with obesity and the other issues while retaining the greatest degree of "normalcy" post-op and post-weight-loss.
Did the 6 month mandatory paper-trail-diet thing; took it seriously at about month 5, but had started regular exercise by that point.  Quit all alcohol 1.5 mo. pre-op, in an effort to give my liver a fighting chance in the OR.  Lost 20 lbs. +/- pre op. (Liver thanks me.)

Surgery was the day before Thanksgiving - some situational irony there, I guess.  (Note to self: Do not schedule major surgery on the front end of holiday weekend next time.  Staffing sucks, as do post-op gas pains.)  Woke up certain I would be used as a balloon in the Thanksgiving parade. Deflated after a couple of days.

Post-op phase: liquids, purees, soft-foods, then slowly on to regular foods.  Lots of chilis, soups, soups, soups, stews, etc.  Emphasis on protein, but dietitian also wants us to eat balanced variety of foods - include veggies.   Not much hunger but some head issues still coping with 'late night demons" who wanted crunch at 11 p.m.  Sleevie beat them into sumission.

Nutrition regimen:  I eat 1100-1200 calories per day since getting on solid foods.  I eat on the clock, that is, at 9 - 1 - 5 - 9, four mini-meals per day.  No liquids 30 min. before or after meals.  No snacks - unless I can't have a regular meal - like a jerky strip on the golf course, or some almonds (15 per day, max, I count 'em) - to be sure I keep my blood sugar up.
I'm not a carb Nazi, but I don't eat breads, crackers (5 saltines sometimes w/soup) chips, pretzels, or pasta.  I do however, eat potatos, a bit of brown or jasmine rice and fruit.  Wifey and I eat about 85% the same foods now w/ a few major exceptions.  First, I follow a tip given to me by that guy in wifey's church - I have the exact same breakfast every single day - an Unjury protein shake - 1 scoop in 8 oz. 1% milk - (before hitting 100 lbs. lost, I did 2 scoops in 8 oz. for a 48 g. protein boost in the a.m.)  Dietitian loves the idea b/c it takes food decisions out of the a.m. and makes getting the remainder of the protein during the day more doable.

Exercise regimen:  I walked 2 miles per day pre-op; not easily, but forcing myself to do it, huff, puff, slow, but getting it done.  A month after surgery I upped the walk to 3 miles daily in our hilly neighborhood and I now do that walk in 58-62 minutes.  Every day - no days off, ever.  If it rains, I'm on the treadmill.  I'm now able to walk 18-holes on a hilly course pushing my clubs- some aches and pains, so I take a pill or two and keep going.  And I've added resistance machines at the gym to my workouts a couple of days per week following the walks.  I burn at least 500 calories per day with exercise, every single day.  So my net caloric input is somewhere around 600-800 per day. 
Results:  Lost:      Diabetes-Sleep Apnea-High Blood Pressure-General Grouchiness & 120 lbs.
                 Gained: Self Esteem - Pride - A bunch of new OH friends - a longer and healthier life.

I told everyone who loves me about my decision pre-op; listened to their questions and heard some apprehension in their voices.  When I explained the situation they quickly became supporters.  My army of supporters includes church friends, neighbors, my golf buddies, and of course, my family.  Wifey is out there slogging with me on the walks about 90% of the time. 
Here's a kicker:  Wifey has a Ph.D. in food science and is a registered dietitian - but as we've said throughout our marriage, "she's a dietitian, but she's not MY dietitian."  Joking aside, having someone who understands so much about the issues as my #1 cheer-leader is a true blessing for me. 

We're off to ***** Cana in the a.m. to dip our toes in the ocean and play a bit of golf.  I'll be a bit smaller on the beach this year, but I've still got 55 lbs. left to get to my goal.  I'm confident I will get there much sooner than I had ever dared to dream.  I'm 65, loving life as a smaller man, and looking forward to a great summer.  See ya in a week or so.
Pop-Pop

mimikay
on 4/22/11 7:45 am
You've done an amazing job! Enjoy the beach!
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
gram247
on 4/22/11 8:29 am
What a wonderful story.
You are an inspiration. I am hoping that I will have a similar story when I go to St Martin in December.
I have just begun my journey on the weight-loss trail, & was enthused after sitting through the introductory semiar, & first doctor visit.
Thanks for sharing.
(deactivated member)
on 4/22/11 7:50 am
Thanks for sharing!  I am so happy for you.  I am 60 years old and you are one of my heroes!

I know you will reach your goals!  Thanks for encouraging me to reach mine!
FreeJulie
on 4/22/11 7:51 am - WA
:) Wonderful story, thank you!
Julie, 5' 3", age 42. Starting weight: 263, Surgery weight: 255
Blogging at www.freejulie.blogspot.com        
VTorres
on 4/22/11 8:03 am - CA
You are a great inspiration.  Thank you for sharing your story.  I haven't had my surgery yet.  It will happen in Aug.  Enjoy your time on the beach.
liveagain1973
on 4/22/11 8:12 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 10/26/10 with
I'm sending this out to everyone I know that's considering weight loss surgery, has had vsg, and anyone who needs inspiration or encouragement. I admire you!
Angel
Follow me on Twitter @willufight4life
Follow my story 
http://www.fight4yourlifeonline.org
Like Us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fight-for-Your-Life/154352644613091

LittleMissSunshine
on 4/22/11 8:48 am
I'm bookmarking this to reference back when I'm post-op

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

time-4-change
on 4/22/11 8:51 am
Hey Pop Pop!  What a wonderfully inspirational account of your journey!  I'm going in for my revision from Lap Band to Sleeve on May 3rd.  Wish me luck!  I wish you continued success! Enjoy ***** Cana...they have some of the prettiest beaches in the world!

Barb

Jenijeni
on 4/22/11 9:16 am
Golfing and dipping toes in the ocean... Sounds like a rough week!! Have a great time!! Congratulations on your success!!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views