bougie sizes

priyankawillshine
on 4/30/11 8:30 pm
what are your bougie sizes? and how much can you eat ?

and also what is the smallest bougie size?

LilySlim - (m9B4)
Dawnie 88
on 4/30/11 10:35 pm
I have the smallest, a 32 bougie.

I am just over one year postop and can eat 2.5 oz of dense protein (chicken breast for example) and I'm satisfied. If I eat cottage cheese I can eat 1/2 cup plus 1-2oz of cheese with it.   I have seen a big variation though with people who have the same size bougies used.

frisco
on 4/30/11 11:26 pm, edited 4/30/11 11:28 pm

A 32f bougie in "General" will hold about 2oz. and will eventually increase to about 4oz.(by volume not weight)

The larger the bougie size means more of the stretchy tissue is retained and the sleeve capacity increases exponentially. A bougie size in the forties can eventually hold around 12-20 oz.

Modern day VSG's will not stretch back to it's original pre-surgery size.

You can lose weight on most bougie sizes but, patient compliance is most important and regain statistics are higher the larger bougie sizes.

Some will say that bougie size does not much matter and often times the "Pen comparison photo" shows up and people will think that there is not much of a difference..... if you believe that....than just go with it.

Surgery with a smaller bougie "is" harder to perform without complications such as strictures and twists. So if a smaller sleeve is what you want....you need to find a surgeon that does them with technique to avoid these issues.

Those with larger bougies need to know that they will have to be more conscious of food intake amounts for long term success.

Also, just cause you have a small sleeve does not mean you don't have to worry about regain, regain can/does happen with small bougie sizes also.

Hope this helps.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

VBG_1998
on 5/1/11 1:04 am, edited 5/1/11 1:05 am
It's nice to see this IN PRINT from others.  I'm not sure if you have a medical background or not, but it would appear that you do.  Either way, I'm glad to see this being posted..

I do my homework on anything that's important to me, and obviously a medical procedure this this would be no different. 

I have gone to 2 different seminars here in the Kansas City area and one says they use 38 and another 42.  I went to those seminars prepared with very specific questions and when I questioned why they used that size- they said it really doesn't matter- they are all pretty much the same.  I was speechless and just simply said based on my research, I had to disagree.

I am scheduled for a sleeve revision in a few weeks from a VBG 13 yrs ago and some of the regain is my fault, but I maintained my weight loss for 9 or 10 years and then start suffering from soft food syndrome.  I honestly wasn't even putting 2 and 2 together until I started doing research late last year on the issue and realized how this was affecting my regain problems.

My surgeon will be using a size 32 on me.  Yes, its a tool like you said, but I want the best tool I can possibly have.
Carmelita
on 5/1/11 1:38 am - Four Corners, NM
VBG_1998
on 5/1/11 1:47 am
I have to agree with Elina_7, there are so many differences in HOW the sleeve is actually performed.  So no 2 sleeves are equal.

I'm sorry you are regaining, but there have been enough sleeves done now that the research is supportive that the regain rate is MUCH lower than the RNY and the VBG.

The size of the stomach is important.  If you read Frisco's post, you will see this.

Everyone must use this as a tool, there is no magic pill/ tool.

Good luck with re-loosing your weight!
Carmelita
on 5/1/11 3:54 am - Four Corners, NM

Let me CLEAR UP MORE MISINFORMATION...especially about ME!!

I'm sorry you are regaining  I REGAINED ...IM NOT REGAINING...hello!! did ya even read what I wrote

I DID read what Frisco wrote...he opines the SAME MISINFORMATION on this board...over n over ain't nuthing new! No proof, no data, no nuthin to back it up...Yer into RESEARCH...verify his CLAIMS!!
I think he says what YA WANNA HEAR!! bottom line

While yer at it ....check into that misinformation about VSG bein better than RNY in regain dept.

YOUR WEIGHT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SIZE OF YOUR STOMACH...altered or not
 why did you need WLS in the FIRST PLACE yer stomachs too big? After VGB why did you REgain? yer stomachs too big? why do RNYr , DSrs and VSGrs REgain our stomachs are too big? Why do VEGETARIANS need WLS are their stomachs too big?

used to be alot like you!  lolol

VBG_1998
on 5/1/11 3:59 am
My my my.... so angry....

I did read your post and whether you are REGAINING or REGAINED is really irrelevant- the fact is you have gained weight and you are blaming your sleeve.  That's your first problem.

Second, don't take your anger out on me or other people just because you disagree with them.

Do you have a medical background to back up YOUR claims???  Hmmmm????  Can't hardly call someone else's posts "mis-information" if you can't refute it with your own credible documentation...

Yeah, didn't think so or you probably would have put it in there.  Kind of like calling the kettle black don't ya think?

Anyhow, continue on with your banter if you like.  Your easily ignored.  I actually have a life outside the boards.

See ya!
Carmelita
on 5/1/11 4:11 am, edited 5/1/11 4:26 am - Four Corners, NM
Im not ANGRY are you?...I provided you with a link to explain bougies WITH RESEARCH, FACTS, STUDIES, XRAYS, everythin.....you chose to ignore it, then turn around gettin all snarky n slam me?

And look I never ONCE blamed my sleeve about my regain...HERE'S MY ORIGINAL POST....SHOW ME!!

How can we be successful with this process
IF WE CAN'T RECOGNIZE THE TRUTH FROM THE LIES!!
startin with what we tell ourselves!

I REGAINED after 2 YEARS out with VSG! talk about puttin 2 and 2 together huh!

Yer weight has nothing to do with the SIZE of your stomach altered or not.
So what 70% of ghrelin "the hunger hormone" is removed from the fundus. So what we can only put so much in at a meal.
I RARELY eat JUNK, inc. processed refined grain flour baked fruit sweets starches ...anything along these lines.

my cause of regain is
TOO MANY FRICKKEN HEALTHY LOW GLYCEMIC CARBS in my DAILY DIET!!! No doubt I don't get the insulin spikes n crashes.....just too many damn carbs PERIOD!! them calories are goin STRAIGHT TO STORIN FAT.......yeah my VSG is FOREVER...Im workin on it...tweakin it for ME
now that Ive discovered what makes ME tick and Im losing again!! what I do is carbs in morning...ALL protein after 3pm...so far so good. I'll tweak it again if I screw it up/stop losing

I just WISH they woulda chopped off MY HEAD w/ VSG....I thought I was giving my body what IT wanted...legumes and salad and whole grains and dairy....after I recently had my FASTING INSULIN, GTT, and A1cs coming back ALL NORMAL..Ive had to RETHINK IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!

I realize My BRAIN is a LYIN SACK of FAT!!

I wasn't givin my body what IT wanted...I was givin it WHAT I WANTED!! My preferences...so what they were healthier complex carbs...I STILL REGAINED!!

Im not discouragin you from VSG. This is a TOTAL WORK IN PROGRESS...all individual!!
I ain't the kind of person...who did anything EZ .....its taking me awhile...hopefully YOU'll get the results YOU want...and figure out WHAT MAKES YA TICK....n hopefully alot sooner than I did ;-)

Oh here's some info on BOUGIES in VSG too might help!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/

-----------------------------------------------------------

Like I said...I used to be like YOU!

See ya!
VBG_1998
on 5/1/11 4:32 am
Snarky is and snarky does...

Oh, and btw, your link is 90% all your own statements and NONE of it is linked to any credible medical studies.

You are now on ignore....  I have better things to do with my time than read such nonsense.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views