My oversized Puppy that Jumps

kimshealth
on 5/6/11 5:54 am - LA
I have a german shephard dog and little over a year old. She is a house dog. She feels that she has to jump on me to greet me. She also likes to lay with me on the sofa. Does anyone know what I need to do to stop her. I will be having surgery late June and I do not want her to hurt me.
I thought about putting THE COLLAR on her so she will stop.  I need to do somethng fast. Has anyone had to go through this. She's spoiled....over protective......playful........ and a high jumper.

cabcab
on 5/6/11 5:59 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I've found that some dogs can sense when someone is sick or injured and know when they should be more gentle with them.  Maybe your dog will know not to jump on you.

But, just in case, maybe have a friend or family member who can take him to stay at their house while you're in recovery.
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Kristy R.
on 5/6/11 6:00 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I have the same issues with my dog, and you must do some intensive training.  I really will not advise you on what to do for your particular dog, because different things work for different dogs.  My suggestion would be to find a good trainer, have them evaluate and give you a plan.  If you can afford the training, then you should have it done.  We had to keep my dog leashed to keep her from jumping on me, or in my son's room.  I can't afford a trainer, and she is a mess.  So that's what we did.  Some people will say, turn your back on them and ignore them - but that didn't work for my dog.  LOL.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Mom4Jazz
on 5/6/11 6:02 am
I don't know what to suggest. I have a similar problem with a cat who walks all over me when I sleep. My husband modified a laptop tray (lengthened the legs) so I could sleep with it over my torso the first couple of weeks. I've just stopped using it, though I keep a pillow on my tummy to discourage her.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

kimshealth
on 5/6/11 6:15 am - LA
She went to a trainer for over a month in a half. They kept her at the training facility. It was suppose to be only a month... But the trainer said she was not ready. My husband insisted that we go get her it was to long. That was just a waste of our money. $900. She is very smart but she only jumps on me. She will do it one time and stop. I also tried the turning around, doesn't work. She just looks at me side ways.

I am going to start working with her to stop. Or I can keep rolled up news paper in my hand and she will not come near. If that doesn't work I will see if my parents will house her. She is just so big. She weighs 97 lbs.

Randy G.
on 5/6/11 6:16 am - TX
VSG on 04/26/11 with
The dog training is an excellent idea. I also have a German Shepard that couldn't act right. We sent her to a two week intensive training and they also sent an E-collar home to use. It has done wonders for her. Short of that, GSD are high energy, very protective work dogs, short of training have someone watch her, or board her
Carmelita
on 5/6/11 6:29 am, edited 5/6/11 6:58 am - Four Corners, NM

knee her in the chest and shout NO or let out big YIP.....swift and severe.... since the turnin deal ain't workin. Do not put yer hands on her = praise to her....do not hit her with sumthin.

Everytime she gets it right...give her a piece of chicken, cheese a lil treat...a dogs heart is thru their stomachs! Just like husbands ;-) Practice it ...go out...come into the house after a while...do it again.....have yer treat ready to go for when she gets it right. Like in the car if yer out....some beef jerky or ? whatever...doggie treats

Ya only have to do the treats deal for a few days..then start weanin her off...do it intermittantly..then not at all ... and always praise her for gettin it right!

Ya got to get everyone in the house on the same page....a dogs feet are supposed to stay on the ground, unless ya want them up. Ive got a 1 yr old doberman n 2 pem corgis. They NEVER jump on me they know better... unless I call em/motion " up".
It drives me crazy when my family let our dogs jump up to pet them. The dogs jump up on em all the time. Ive got to train my family first forget about the dogs!

Had to add this...the one yr old dobie...he's huge right...after our Cinco de Mayo dinner ...we both were dancing!! It was hilarious. He really can dance that boy! goin forward n bac****pt tryin to spin him but he didn't get it down.
Cookster
on 5/6/11 6:48 am - AZ
 My sister had a dog that always jumped.  I solved it (for me at least) by pulling one leg up so she couldn't get close and firmly said "NO" to her.  Sometimes my knee hit her chin, but soon she found out that I really meant it and stopped jumping on me when I came in the door.  I hope that helps.  Good luck with your surgery.  I don't have a date yet, but sure am looking forward to the day.
kimshealth
on 5/6/11 1:14 pm - LA
I will have to try that. Thanks for the advise.

Beth M.
on 5/6/11 6:40 am - KS
I have 2 doxies hardly the size of your dog - but they are lap dogs and the one loves to lay on my chest and give hugs.  I was able to get them to stop by telling them no - firmly.  They have yet to pounce on my tummy and I am 7 days out.
But as others say - dogs react differently - but I would start now.
Most Active