My oversized Puppy that Jumps

BriarRose
on 5/6/11 2:30 pm
I have one other thought. two really. If it is just when you get home, she is excited to see you. When you come in, be VERY low key. No excited greeting her, just say hello is a calm voice, put your things down, and then sit down on the sofa or chair. Call her over calmly, tell her to sit, "treat" the sit, and then give her lovies. Make a new homecoming routine for you both.

The other thing is that she is probably lonely. Can you get a neighborhood teen in to come in afterschool and take her for a nice long walk pay them ten bucks for a half hour to an hour walk ? If not try a dog walking or pet sitting service to come in once a day to take her for a walk. It might be more expensive, but in the long run, it will save you heartache.

remember --- a tired dog is a good dog !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Susan0714
on 5/6/11 10:19 pm - Kenner, LA
Like Sassy Italian said everytime she gets up you need to put her to the floor.  a friend that has a german shorthair pointer had the same problem. there was a lady that came up to us one night and did just that. they had the leash on her the lady(that was a animal trainer before) took the leash, and when she jumped up, she pulled the leash down and said NO..

I volunteer at our local SPCA, I was told in training whenever a dog jumps on you, turn your body away from that dog. I have done that to several dogs and they have stopped.. With those dogs that is only a temp fix.

A friend of mine that has a great dane, whnever I go to see him, the dane jumps up, that is on everyone, unfortunately with his Dane, we just use a water bottle when he jumps, and he stops.

I still see my friend with the pointer at the park and she does not jump anymore.. When I have taught my dogs different commends in the past.. (1 great dane, and 2 mini schnauzers), thank goodess my dane does not and never has jumped. But when I have trained my dogs in the past, I found that hot dog (cut up very small Turkey hotdog), and those small cubs of cheese really helped with the training.

Good Luck.. Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Jenn H.
on 5/7/11 9:20 am - Portland, OR
 I had to crate my girls for most of the month while I healed. It was sad for us all.

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views