5 Days Post Op I MADE IT, IT'S OVER!!!!!

coreena691
on 5/17/11 12:05 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
I cannot stress how GLAD I AM TO FINALLY HAVE THAT ALL BEHIND ME!!

I had a revision from VBg to VSG  (RARE PROCEDURE) on May 12th done as Open surgery.  He had to do open to prepare for any complications from previous surgery.  It wasn't too bad, but my stomach had adhesions and was attached to my liver.  So first the stomach had to be "peeled" apart from the liver, then he had to cut and remove my old non-adjust band.  I guess the big question was if the scarring under the band was too large, and would not make room for a new sleeve, but alas, it was possible and I woke up in recovery to the sweet sounds of "Your surgery is OVER & you have a SLEEVE"!!!

I just got out of the hospital yesterday, I felt better as each day went by, but no liquids at all for the first 3 days!!!  Not even ice until Sunday.  He was playing it safe for leaks due to the old scarring.  I started my sips on Sunday evening and then liquid diet onto yesterday.  The surgeon said all was looking good and I was able to come home.  I will be on a liquid diet for the next 3 weeks then progress into soft, puree, solid...etc.

Other than the typical soreness and pain from an open surgical recovery, I am extremely bloated.  I acutally gained 6lbs next day post op, but it is starting to come back off.  I'm down 4lbs since Yesterday.  Not hard to tell it was from all the IV fluids.  I just got off the IV yesterday afternoon, before I left he hospital and have made it to the bathroom every 10 mins to pee.

So how do I feel today?  Not too bad (just bloated, stiff and sore at incision site).  Sipping is going well.   I had a Carnation Instant Breakfast and it went down pretty good.  But it did take an hour to do.  I'm sipping water all day long, and will try another protein smoothie this afternoon.  Gotta keep up my energy!!

The best part of having this revision, I'm SLEEVED!!!  No more food stuck, no more pain, foamies, and vomiting, NO MORE BAND.....from now on, it's just me and "Sleevie Wonder". 

ps:  It's amazing what these surgeons are able to do.  I was so scared of running into trouble and not making it through this surgery or able to actually get the sleeve.  But he did a great job, and I'm feeling so much better.   Here's to a new beginning!!! 
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

SpiceyMom
on 5/17/11 12:17 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Wow! You've been through it, girl! Glad the surgery went well and the surgeons could revise successfully. Hope your recovery continues to go well!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
mirandainmn
on 5/17/11 12:22 am - MN
WOW!  Sounds like you're doing great so early out.  I was sleeved the same day as you and will stop whining about my discomfort now.  My procedure was laprascopic and my first surgery, so much less intense than yours no doubt.  Glad to hear you got rid of the band and moved to the sleeve. I wish you the best!
BJUpNorth
on 5/17/11 12:56 am - MN
Good luck with everything. Sounds like you are doing good for all you have been through. Just take your time to heal, sip and walk.

Best Wishes,
Brenda

vjb1952
on 5/17/11 1:48 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
  It sounds like you are doing great considering the extent of your procedure!  Glad to hear all is going so well.  The medical breakthroughs today are wonderful, and the talents of our doctors are amazing, for sure!  Best wishes for a continued great recovery... A toast to you and "sleevie wonder"!  Take care,  Viv

vjb1952

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views